Thursday 23 December 2010

A White Christmas

As I look up to the grey skies and trudge through the white stuff every time I step outside my front door I realise now why we opt out of the festive season and fly away somewhere hot.  Definitely will be doing this next year.  The snow was certainly a challenge yesterday.  It’s easier driving a 4x4 in the snow but I am still very nervous.  I dropped HH off at work as we got near Kingston it really came down hard.   After sliding into the visitor car park at the OU I then made my way to the rubbish tip in Newport.  The council didn’t collect our rubbish on Monday like there were supposed to, they did come out on Tuesday but I’d already put our bags in the garage so I missed them.  After dumping my rubbish I stopped off at Boots in NP then decided to drive over to Tesco’s at Kingston to get my last Christmas food shop.  It’s crazy really, I’m not even going to be here for CE or CD so why on earth do I need to shop like we are in a war zone, god only knows!

The snow really was coming down fast and furious so as I got near to Costco I decided to abandon my mission and turn back and go home.  Funnily enough it wasn’t snowing in Giffard Park which was just as well because I was due to meet up for a coffee with Sue at the hospital.  Poor Alan has been in MK for the last couple of weeks because he has been suffering from back spasms.  Thankfully, or at least we hope, this is not due to the cancer but just muscular pain which has virtually made him immobile.  Thankfully I made it to the hospital and Sue met me in reception where we had a coffee.  She was a little on tender hooks because the doctors hadn’t made their rounds yet and following Alan’s appointment in Oxford she needed to talk to them.  Anyway, it was really nice to spend some time with her.  Sue has been practically living at the hospital, getting there at 7 in the morning and not going home until 11 at night.  She’s a star and Alan is lucky to have such great care and support.  Despite their predicament, Sue was sparkling and upbeat, obviously she and Alan must have their off days but she is keeping positive.  It’s as she said, what other option does she have?  I think it is unlikely that Alan will be well enough to get out for Christmas but I do so hope that he improves so that they both can return home sometime very soon.

Whilst I was making my way home Harriet phoned on my mobile to say that the OU was being evacuated due to the heavy snow. She was stressing out because her dad couldn’t collect her from work because he was snowed in.  Anyway she eventually bagged a lift home from someone at work and was waiting for me on the doorstop because she didn’t have her key.   She was pleased to get an afternoon off work, not that she did very much, as soon as she got in, she got changed into her pyjamas and lounged in bed for the remainder of the day.

Phil walked to the Ship a Shore at Willen where he met up with Jim and Alfie.   Steve and Chris gave it a miss because of the ice and snow which is fair enough.  Harriet met up with some friends and they all went to Witherspoons at the city centre.  I think she had a good night because she didn’t look to bright this morning, lol!  She is definitely getting in the Christmas party spirit and I think she’s out again tonight. 

I gave the gym a miss yesterday but I made it this morning after once again dropping Harriet off at work.  Thankfully, the boilers have been fixed and we had heating and hot water.  The gym was like a morgue and the pool was deserted; just a shame that I didn’t really have time for a swim, maybe tomorrow.  After DW I did my last Christmas shop at Asda, it was choc-o-block and you couldn’t move for people.   I’ve got to go to the city centre for some last minute pressies this afternoon but after that, no more shopping and no more spending money that I haven’t got.  If I have forgotten anything, its tough luck, me and my house mates will just have to make do.

No comments:

Post a Comment