Friday 17 December 2010

A quiet week

As predicted, it’s been a quiet and steady week.   After a fairly relaxed weekend both Phil & I were feeling tons better as our colds faded away.   We are just about back into the UK time zone now and waking up at a normal time, although I’m still falling asleep on the sofa somewhere between 7 and 8pm which I think this is due to the drugs I’ve been taking for my cold.  I’ve been swallowing day nurse capsules in the day and night nurse by night which BTW is brilliant for sleep inducement but the trouble is, they do make you feel woozy the next day.

I’ve been to the gym a couple of times but I’m breaking myself in very slowly.  I started off on Monday with a weight session and a couple of 3k runs during the week.  Although I’ve not done any exercise for a good month I could still feel my hamstring and it felt tight after I got down from the running machine.   Slowly, slowly is the way to go and hopefully I can stick to this. I’m not sure when Phil is going to get time to exercise except at the weekends but he certainly needs to try and fit some in.

Sue & Alan were due to come round for a cup of tea on Tuesday afternoon but Sue phoned up at midday to cancel.   Poor Alan had woken up with excruciating back pain and the district nurses were unable to get him out of bed so Sue was waiting on the doctor to come out.   She said it was likely that they would be going back into hospital for pain relief.  I was sorry not to see them but I was also worried about passing on our cold germs.  Sue sent me a text early on Wednesday morning to say that Alan was admitted to MK hospital and Sue stayed the night with him.  My heart really goes out to the both of them; they really are going through a living nightmare.  Alan seems to be in and out of hospital, he goes in and they treat him and then he’s home for a few days and into a routine, albeit with district nurses twice a day and then another symptom pops up and he’s readmitted.  I worry as much for Sue as I do for Alan.  It must be taking all her strength both mentally and physically as prime carer and certainly can’t be easy having to watch the one you love suffer.

Whilst Phil & are at the end of our colds with only the occasional sneeze and splutter, it seems that we have passed on our bugs to Harriet.  She was sent home from work absolutely full of it.   She took some day nurse, put on her pyjamas and went straight to bed where she stayed put.  I hope that she gets better soon because she today she is flying out to Jersey to visit her cousin and they have plans to party tonight & Saturday night.  

I went to Stony Stratford for my hair appointment on Monday afternoon but when I got there I realised I had the wrong day!   I blamed it on the drugs but actually my appointment was for Wednesday.  I had the apprentice for touching up my grey roots and Carmelo himself for a cut and finish.  I keep saying that I’m not going there anymore because it is not cheap even when you go Monday to Wednesday where you get 25% off but Carmelo really does know his stuff and I always get a good cut that lasts me.

On Wednesday evening Phil went out with the ‘Wednesday’ night boys and I popped round to have a glass of vino with Vanessa.  It’s been a while since we’ve seen each other, so as usual, much to catch up on.  Poor Vanessa has been ill with a chest infection but I think she’s pretty much over it.  At least she finished today for the Christmas school holidays so she can get all her chores done and get back in the gym for some training.

Yesterday Harriet and I took the train to London to do some shopping.  We couldn’t have picked a more horrible day, it was grey, wet and cold and it stayed that way the whole day.   We had a good connection and were in Oxford Circus for 11am.  The prime aim of our trip was to visit Primark which is our favourite cheap shop but unfortunately we ended up going down Regent Street.  Eventually we asked a policeman and he directed us back down Regent Street, past Oxford Circus tube station and all the way to nearly the bottom of Oxford Street.  I was worn out but the long walk was worth it.  I had got loads of tops, jeans, belts, socks and all for a pittance.  Harriet was a little more conservative which is unusual for her and only spent just over 30 quid.  Still, she was pleased with her purchases as was I because now I have some warm clothes to wear.    It was still raining when we got out of Primark so after a McDonalds for lunch, which Harriet treated me too, we trundled to the tube and took the Victoria line back to Euston.  We were back home by half past three, tired and very cold and glad to be back in the warm.


Phil has gone to work today but will finish early as today is the day of his biopsy.  Naturally he is nervous but not so much as the first time round because he has already met and liked the nurse that will be doing his procedure.    As there is a slight risk of infection he has to take a course of strong anti-biotics for 3 days but this is no big deal, if anything they may help finish off his cough and cold once and for all.   The hospital told us that he needs to take things easy so I guess when we’re finished, it will be straight home, jim jams, sofa reclined and lots of telly.  This is fine by me, when the cold weather outside, there is nowhere I’d rather be.  Have a good weekend all.

2 comments:

Emma said...

Good luck to Phil today x

Claire said...

Thx Emma x

Post a Comment