Monday 27 December 2010

A Cool Yule!

I am pleased to be able to tell you, that thus so far, we’ve had a lovely Christmas.   It started off well on Christmas Eve with both Phil and Harriet finishing work at midday.  As soon as they both got home we all went to The Giffard for a meal.  The pub was packed and with snow outside it really did feel like it was Christmas.  Phil had to queue up for quite a while but we didn’t have to wait long for our drinks and meal to arrive.   Afterwards we make a quick stop off at home, mainly to drop off HH and then got on the motorway to go to Melton.  The M1 was busy but thankfully no traffic jams and we were at Phil’s mum and dads just after 3pm.  Phil mum was both surprised and pleased to see us so early and we soon settled in front of the telly with a cup of tea.

Our Christmas Eve was a gentle one; a high tea of bread, home cured ham, pork pie and pickles and a flan and cream for afterwards.  Unfortunately for Phil, he had to endure a whole evening of soaps, an hour long episode of Emmerdale, a double whammy of
Coronation Street
and half an hour of Eastenders in-between.  Luckily he had his iPad with him so he could read his book so he didn’t really complain.  Phil’s mum like me watches all the Soaps so we had a great evening.

The spare bed at Phil’s mum and dad’s was very comfortable and we both slept like babies.   It’s a bit like being back in time at my in-laws house;  the house although immaculate has been styled in the 70’s, patterned carpets, embossed wallpaper on every wall and ceiling, knitted toilet roll covers and glass cabinets full of every type of glass and wall mounted thimbles.   I should love to have the opportunity to modernise their bathroom and kitchen but my style would be too modern, too minimalistic and wouldn’t suit them at all.  However that said, it’s very comfortable and homely and nothing is too much trouble for Phil’s mum.

The whole idea of going for Christmas was that Phil & I would do all the preparations for Christmas lunch but it didn’t pan out that may.  Bet had done lots of work before we arrived and although Phil & I did the vegetables, Bet wouldn’t stay out of the kitchen so in the end she ended up doing most of the cooking.   We had roast turkey with all the trimmings and very nice it was too.  Phil’s dad, me and Phil did the washing and drying and by 1 o’clock we were all finished and sitting in the conservatory with our feet up.  Phil was anxious to get home before dark we left just before 3 and were back at our house by 4pm.  I’ve never seen the M1 so empty.

Harriet had been parting and not long back home (don’t ask) so she was very hungover.  We opened presents and then she went back to bed.  The original plan was that Phil would cook her steak and chips but she didn’t fancy anything. Our Christmas Day evening was quiet, telly then bed and a lie in on Boxing Day.  I went to the gym for a quick run but couldn’t persuade Phil to come with me; he’d been doing good with his weight loss but not quite in the right frame of mind for exercise.  Maybe tomorrow?

Yesterday Phil made Harriet some lunch and then we drove over to Olney to have lunch with Mad’s & Steve.  Their cottage looked very Christmassy, shame really I didn’t take any more photographs.  We had champagne to start, then we exchanged presents and then we sat down to real a magnificent feast with no expense spared.  Lovely pate and salmon mousse, caviar, tomato and mozzarella all served with pita breads and dips.   Our main course was a platter of hot turkey and pork with creamy mash potatoes and peas, lovely and both Phil & I went back for seconds.   Dessert was Key Lime Pie followed by cheese & biscuits and coffee.   Phil & Steve took Ed’s dog Marley for a walk and we left the cottage just after 6pm.  A lovely afternoon and a big thanks to Mads and Steve for having us over.

We finished our Boxing Day by popping over to Sandy’s for a festive glass of wine and some games with Sandy’s family and some friends.  Unfortunately I slipped over on the ice whilst walking out of our drive.  It didn’t hurt much at the time probably because of all the wine I’d consumed so it was probably acting as an anaesthetic, but boy this morning I could hardly make it down the stairs.  We have a problem with our overflow pipe which is constantly dripping and the water is freezing and acting as an ice rink on our block paving.  I had wanted to go to the gym but there is now wa I’m going to be able to make it today.  The pain in my Coccyx bone otherwise known as tail bone.  I’ve taken some paracetamol and rubbed some smelly balm stuff on it which has helped a bit but it really is sore.

For a girl that doesn’t really do Christmas I have been rather spoilt with gifts from everyone this year.  Harriet got me a jar of Elemis Lime & Ginger body scrub which is glorious stuff but very expensive.  She also got me a Sanctury beauty set from Boots.  Phil didn’t get me a gift as such but he has promised to buy me a notepad.  Actually he wanted to go shopping today but I’m in too much agony.  Phil’s mum and dad, give me Chrissie cash, a jumper, chocolates and a coat and scarf.  Mads got me a Ted Baker bag, some Sisley hand cream, a nail varnish and loads of other goodies.  She also got me the tallest bottle of wine that I’d ever seen!  So as you can tell I did very well indeed as did Phil.

The only disaster over Christmas was that on Christmas Eve the top came off my bottle of water and spewed all into my bag soaking everything including my camera and mobile phone.   The camera was okay but my mobile was as dead as a dodo.  Harriet took out the battery and sim card and got the hairdryer on them but to no avail.  When I was at Phil’s mums I took it all apart again and left it in her airing cupboard overnight but it still wouldn’t switch on Christmas morning. I went out to Asda yesterday and brought a cheap mobile and when it was charged I put in my old sim card and was able to pick up all my text messages from friends and family wishing me a happy crimble.  Thanks to everyone and sorry for not replying but now you know why! 

I hope everyone had a good Christmas and still are in fact enjoying the festive holiday.   We’ll be bringing this blog to a close at the end of the week but maybe Phil would like to do a last posing for 2010 before I start the new blog for 2011.  Details to follow.




3 comments:

Emma said...

Sounds like you had a lovely Christmas.
My dad, who is 75, slipped over on our driveway Christmas day evening, he put his hand out to break his fall but still hit his head quite hard on the ground. Thankfully he only received a small cut on his hand and a few brusies so he was very lucky.
We treated ourselves to a Xbox Kinect yesterday, its really good & the children love it, Hopefully it will help with my pre Christmas/New Years diet!!
E x

Claire said...

Yes we did Emma and so sorry to hear about your poor dad, hope he feels better soon and me too! Sounds like you and the children are having fun with the Xbox Kinect, hope it does all you want it too! C x

The Ford Family said...

Happy New Year Claire and Phil. I'm off all week Claire so if you fancy popping over for coffee, give me a ring. Vxx

Post a Comment