Friday 2 July 2010

Ladies wot lunch


This week seems to have flown by.  We have been busy but it’s been a mixture of work, play and leisure.  On Monday the estate agent came round to value the house.   We agreed on a sale price and now it’s official, we are now up For Sale.  I am a little sad because I living here but Phil is right, it makes sense to sell and release some of the capital to invest elsewhere.  It’s better to act with your head sometimes and leave the heart out of it.

On Tuesday we met up with Sue & Alan from Cosgrove for lunch.  We met them at the Thai restaurant near Westcroft but when we got there the restaurant was shut.  In the end up we ended up at Red Hot Chilli in the Theatre District.   The lunch time food wasn’t as good as the evening but nonetheless the company was good so it didn’t matter.  Sue & Alan are a really interesting couple; it was a boozy lunch and we were one of the last to leave the restaurant.  Sue invited us back for coffee but I wanted to get into Christine’s house and paint the stairs.   Phil dropped me off and I got out the paint tray.  He did comment that it probably wasn’t the best idea to paint after 3 larges glasses of wine and he was right.  My lines weren’t straight and I had to go back in on Wednesday morning to rectify.  It didn’t take me long, a touch up on the wobbly lines and a quick second coat and I was soon finished. 

We had quite a productive day on Wednesday.  Phil spent the entire morning trying to book us a holiday.  It proved a long and arduous task but he got there in the end.  He has booked us 2 weeks in Turkey for £120 each and we fly from Birmingham on Monday.   It’s a cheap holiday and I’m not expecting much from the accommodation as it’s only a 2 star.  It certainly won’t be as nice as the lovely holiday we had in Jill & Tony’s villa in Kalkan last July but I suppose it will be a break away from the mundane.  I’m not sure it’s a great idea to go away when the house is just going on the market buy hey ho, too late now, we’re booked. I had to go next door and get my spare key back from Emma to give to the agent; she’s going to keep an eye on the house for us whilst we’re away so I’m going to give her Phil’s key on Sunday evening.

Booking a last minute holiday unexpectantly has made me feel stressed.  There is so much to do and sort that I can’t think straight.  Phil is as laid back as ever and has no sense of urgency.  I needed to off load some of my ‘things to do’ so I sent him an email and on Thursday morning he started on his jobs with out hardly any prompting.  This communication by email seems to work so I shall carry on.   If I put it down in writing rather than conversation he can’t dodge or deny the issues.

The estate agents, Karen & Laura came round on Wednesday lunchtime to take some photographs of our house.   It was a hot day but it kept clouding over intermittently but we were lucky because the sun came out when they arrived.  They were very professional and I was impressed when they dropped off the typed up house details by hand the very same day.  I am not sure if we sell the house where we shall live; Phil’s plan is that we buy a cheap house, move in and refurbish.  If anyone wants to buy a tidy 3 bed detached then just let me know!  Oh god, the thought of another house moves freaks me out.

Steve Buckton came to stay on Wednesday evening.   We were hoping to spend a few days with him in Las Vegas but it didn’t pan out because Steve had some more work in Japan.    It’s been ages since we last saw him but Steve was the just the same as ever.   Phil & Steve had a few beers at home then walked to The Ship Ashore in Willen to meet up with the Jim, George, Alfy & Chris.   I like it when Phil goes out on a Wednesday evening because it means home alone and I get to have the remote control all to myself.  It gives me a change to catch up with all my favourite TV programmes which Phil refuses to watch, or if he does, he moans constantly.

Phil cooked bacon sandwiches for Steve & me and after breakfast we waved goodbye to Steve.  He had to go early back to Leicester as he had a doctor’s appointment.    As soon as he left Phil got started on the outstanding paperwork.  He did the wages, we both signed the agent contracts and then Phil went to drop them back to the agent in Newport.  I went to the city centre with a huge shopping list.  I had every good intention of going to the gym but the opportunity came and went.  I just start to get into a gym routine, manage to loose a few pounds and then something happens and now it’s not start again on Monday because we’re off on our hols.   So it will be start all over after that.  Sometimes, I simply despair myself. 

Steve & Jan picked us up just after midday yesterday and we went to Robinsons in Newport for lunch.   Phil & I haven’t been there for months but they do a really good deal for a 2 & 3 course lunch.  The boys both had a couple of beers and Jan & I had a few glasses of wine, we should have shared a bottle really because the wine isn’t cheap at Robbies.  Still, all the courses were really good and a nice lunch was had by all.  Steve & Jan have just returned from a long weekend in Bruge and it was interesting to see their photos.  Phil & I have passed by Bruge en route to Germany but have never actually visited the town itself.   We must arrange a trip because it looks really pretty.   After lunch it was back to ours for coffee and then the rest of the day we spent watching the telly.   It was a very indulgent afternoon and I did feel a tadge guilty, but what the heck, we don’t do this very often.

This morning we’re going to the gym and after that we’re driving to Buckingham to buy some meat from the butcher.   This afternoon I’m getting my hair done; half head mesh blonde highlights and a cut and blow dry. I’m not relishing spending 3 hours in the hairdressers, but needs must; I’m looking like a dog.  Phil has been busy researching Marmaris in Turkey. He has printed off loads of information about restaurants, walks, boat trips, etc etc.  So be prepared for lots of ‘Phil’ blogs next week, as Steve & Jan will testify, he is very excited!  In the meantime, I guess I should start on the packing.

2 comments:

Steve said...

It was good to see you both Wednesday, had a good time.
Have a good holiday and see you when you get back

Claire said...

Thx Steve; good to see the two of you and thx for driving us. We wish you a very happy birthday for next Saturday, hope you have a good time. L Claire & Phil x

Post a Comment