Monday 26 July 2010

Wat a week

I can’t believe I’ve only been back from holiday for only one week and already I’m in need of another one.  It’s been a knackering week for many different reasons.  We arrived home on Monday and as Phil was still feeling under the weather he relaxed in his favourite chair in front of the telly whilst I unpacked the cases and got the washing machine going.  It took me the rest of the day to dry, iron and put away before crashing out for an early night.  On Tuesday Phil did make amends for slobbing out the day before and got up bright and early to sort out all our paperwork.  There was stuff to deal with that came in whilst we were away and also stuff that he didn’t get round to sorting before we left.  Phil also realised that his TMA was due in that very same day so he had to get that done and submitted.  I don’t think he will get very good marks because he didn’t really understand his assignment and had to rush it to meet the deadline.

I was meant to get round to Harriet’s flat to clean first thing on Wednesday morning but I woke up feeling not too great.  I had a cup of tea and a small glass of orange juice and then the stomach cramps started followed by a few hours of sitting on the toilet and throwing up in the sink.  Not a pretty sight and certainly not a good start to my day.  Eventually I managed to pull myself together and drove to the OU to pick up Harriet’s front door key and then went to her flat to start cleaning.   I had no sooner pulled up in the drive and was getting all my cleaning clobber out of the boot when the tenant from the adjacent flat came out to complain about our tenant who lives above her putting her washing machine on late and night and waking up her baby.  I said I’d sort it and took myself and my stuff up the stairs.  I was in the process of unpacking when the same tenant appeared, baby in arms and asked to look round Harriet’s flat.  She said she had some friends interested in renting; I showed her round and then told her the rental price.  It was considerably higher than her rent so she soon disappeared.  Finally I could get on with the job in hand!

At first glance Harriet’s flat seemed good but once I got started I soon realised it was all surface stuff.  It took me 4 hours to clean the kitchen.  I’m making it sound that Harriet is a bit of a dirty mucker but it’s really just me and my anal ways.  When I get a flat back I have to clean every crook and cranny until it’s perfect or as near as dam it.  I bleached all the kitchen cupboards, cleaned the oven and the fridge freezer and scrubbed the cream ceramic tiles until there were gleaming.  Harriet came home for lunch to check on my progress and to check the pile of rubbish for throwing away.  I didn’t get beyond the kitchen when I’d decided I’d had enough.  I stopped at the tip to get rid of the rubbish and it was nearly 4pm by the time I got home.  Just time to get showered and changed and to relax for a bit.  Steve Pem popped round with a belated birthday card and box full of goodies from Clarins, a gift from Mads.  Bless her. I Intend to have a beauty treatment day just as soon as I get the flat sorted.

I still wasn’t feeling great but I promised to meet Christine at the little bridge. She had the dogs with her and we walked them back to her little house in Downs Barn.  The sun wasn’t out but the weather was warm so we sat in her garden and ate a light supper washed down with a bottle of red wine.  It probably wasn’t the best idea when I already had a bad tummy but it went down well at the time.  Unfortunately I paid for it the next morning and instantly regretted my indulgence the night before.  Still, I had so much to do that it wasn’t an option to lie low in bed so I cleaned myself up and went over to HH’s flat to carry on with the cleaning.  Phil turned up just after I got there and got stuck into getting the weeds up in the garden.   I was grateful for the help but sent him home after an hour as he had a telephone interview at 10am.   He arrived home only to find that he didn’t have his house key.   I did a few hours cleaning, went to the tip to dump more rubbish and then went back home to get a shower as we had to go to see our solicitor in Buckingham.

The agent phoned to postpone Phil’s interview as the client was really busy so we just about had time to sign contracts with our solicitor and rush back home in time for Phil’s telephone interview at 12.30.  I changed back in my work stuff and went back to the flat to carry on with the cleaning.  Phil joined me a bit later and got on with filling holes and putting up pictures and mirrors.  Harriet had a half day so she turned up and we finished up loading all 3 cars with her all her worldly belongings.  I think she was sad to be leaving her flat but I think she is doing the right thing.  It’s time for her to get her life in perspective, save up some money and have a little fun for a change. 

At teatime we were all back at home and had all of Harriet’s stuff unpacked and put away.  Phil made Harriet her favourite supper, omelette and home made chips.   It was spotting with rain but I made him cook the chips outside, I can’t stand the smell of fat in the house especially when I was feelings so nauseous.  I went to bed around 8pm but just after 10pm I was back on the toilet where I spent most of the night.   It wasn’t a great first night for Harriet; she must have heard my moans and groans and kindly got up in the early hours to fetch me some water. I was feeling a little better on Friday morning so after breakfast Phil had I went back to the flat to finish off the last of the cleaning jobs.  I made up all the beds, Phil put some new sealant around the bath and I finished up with some touch up painting in the hallway and bathroom.   We went home and Phil made a spaghetti bog for lunch.   I tried a little and it stayed down but alas only for a while.  

On Friday afternoon Phil went back to the flat to meet Adam from Morgan’s for a rental valuation.  Thank goodness we just about managed to finish the flat in time for his visit.  I didn’t go with him because I had to go over to Cranfield to check out the flat.  Of course this meant another encounter with mad Betty and I really wasn’t in the mood for it.   The flat was okay, the agent had done a viewing the day before and had picked up all the old newspapers and post.   Mad Betty was as crazy as ever but I really shouldn’t be so mean about her because she gave me 2 sachets of powder for dehydration and diarrhoea.  Phil & I arrived back home at around the same time and decided to go to the cinema to see ‘Inception’ starring Leonardo DeCaprio.   The film was okay, a psychological thriller which was a bit different but it went on for a long time and I was a little bored in parts.  Of course it didn’t help that I had to keep nipping out to the toilet so maybe I missed some of the best bits.  Mind you, this film has had some great reviews.

I awoke early on Saturday morning and thought I had finally got fid of my tummy bug so I left my house mates sleeping and went early to the market for fruit, vegetables and flowers.   I was feeling a little peckish when I got home so Phil made me a fried egg roll.  After breakfast we went to the gym, I wasn’t up for a workout so I had a swim while Phil did half an hour in the gym.   He joined me in the steam room but no sooner did he come in then I had to go out because the heat was making me feel sick.   Sure enough when we got back home, I was throwing up again.   I don’t know what is wrong with me but I’m a bit fed up of feeling like this (can you tell?)   I have lost 8 pounds since we got back from holiday which is not really surprising because I have hardly eaten or drunk since Tuesday.   Okay, I’m too unhappy with the weight loss but I can think of better ways.

Chris picked up Harriet & Jade and took them to Watford for some last minute holiday shopping.  Phil watched the German Grand Prix qualifying and afterwards we had a quiet afternoon watching movies on the free movie channel.  Harriet brought Jade over and Phil dropped them at some friends in Newport where they were meeting up to go clubbing in the city.  It’s a bit strange having Harriet back home and I suppose it must be the same for her.   It’s only been a few days but I’m sure we shall all soon adjust.  One thing that I have noticed is that since her return to the nest, is that my washing, ironing and cleaning duties seem to have doubled!   I think Harriet forgets just how anal I am in the cleaning department.  Hey ho, a leopard can never change her spots, especially an old haggard one like me!

We were all up fairly early on Sunday morning, even Harriet which was fairly surprising because she didn’t get in until 3am.   I went to the shops for papers and took these back to bed for an extra hour.  When I got up I went to the gym with the intention of having a swim but I had toilet troubles when I got there so had to abort this plan and make do with a quick shower.  I decided to cook a roast chicken dinner yesterday, a special treat for Harriet.   It was tasty, even if I do say so myself and I managed to eat a small plateful.   The rest of the afternoon was leisurely and lazy, Sunday papers and lots of telly.   I figured, after our busy week that we deserved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment