Wednesday 14 July 2010

Almost a Dream Boat Trip

After our long bike ride yesterday we decided to give our bums a rest and book a boat trip. We ended up booking on the Dream Boat with Kebap the owner for just under £11 each and it was supposed to be all inclusive, with lunch and unlimited drinks. We decided to have an easy night down our Favourite local and an early night but it didn’t quite pan out that way as they had the Turkish dancing on and the usual bar staff entertainment as well. Claire had a small spaghetti whilst I stuck to the beer as we had quite a late lunch and in this heat you don’t get so hungry.

We arrived early for our trip so we could get our towels down on the best seats, it must be the German in me. Claire hopped off the bike while I parked and locked it up. When I looked around I couldn’t see Claire anywhere only Kebap so I asked him where she was. He said that he had only seen me get off the bike and hadn’t noticed her so I shouted her. She replied and came to the back of the boat to wave, she was excited as she was first on and got some really good seats; unfortunately, she was on the wrong boat. Claire went to grab the best seats on our boat while I had a walk to a shop to get breakfast as we had waited 25 minutes at our hotel without sign of it so decided to skip it. I can’t understand how everything at our hotel is so difficult; it’s only a bit of cucumber, tomato, cheese and bread after all. Last night we were off to our local to put the blog on and one of the brothers tried to get us to eat there but we said we must do our internet first. Anyway, he talked us into staying and having one drink there while we used their free wifi. Not being able to log onto it even with the help of the hunchback brother we wanted to leave but too late, our drinks had arrived. I took a swig out of my bottle and it exploded in my mouth with froth going all over my clean shirt and the laptop. The beer was hot; not warm but hot. I gave it back to the waiter and he went to get another one but they were all hot and he had to go to another bar to fetch me a cold one. We must have wasted 30 minutes there for nothing and they wonder why we chose to eat and drink elsewhere.

Anyway I got back on the boat to join Claire but she was disappointed as the front seats on the top deck had already been reserved with towels but nobody was there. We suspected real Germans but it turned out to be two couples from Shropshire. We settled down and relaxed with around a 30 minute wait by then and it became unbearably hot so I had to sit in the shade until we set off. It was a scorcher! The boat set off and it was quite pleasant with a breeze so I guess that we have both caught the sun.

I forgot to say about yesterday’s bike ride; when we left Marmaris about 25 Jeeps were also leaving in the same direction as us and we spotted them later on a dirt track by the side of the road. In fact we seemed to be crossing paths at most places that we visited but I don’t think that they got as far as we did as we never saw them there. I think those trips are really expensive, have a look at getting a motorbike for the day at less than £10 first. Also Claire spotted that our hotel are charging 110TL a night as their rack rate. I would be very disappointed if I had paid that much. If we had just dropped in for three nights we would have paid more than for our entire holiday including flights; it’s a rip off.

The first thing we were offered on the boat was an ice cream, what a great start and a Magnum as well. Once I had taken one and thanked her she asked for 5TL, how’s that for all inclusive? Anyway it was a great trip for the money, quite basic food but nice and you could drink beer all day but it wasn’t Efes it was some sort of Skol in a 1.5 litre bottle in plastic cups. We slowed past a fish farm and then pulled in a bit further for a swim. We then headed over to the other side where we had lunch and drinks then set off again and stopped for a couple of hours in Turunc where we had visited on Monday. It was incredibly hot walking around there so we found a shady bar and bided our time. We got back to the boat in plenty of time to escape the heat and get a drink there for free but the bar was closed while in the port but they do serve water. We headed onward again and stopped for another swim was really hit the spot this time and was well needed. The water is icy cold when you first get in but within a couple of minutes it seems to warm up quickly. Maybe I got too close to Claire when she was having a pee.

We arrived back I Marmaris at around 4.45pm and noticed that the temperature was 44C but it had felt more like 54C earlier. A real scorcher and a pleasant day out for the money, its always worth doing one every time you are away. Claire had heard that some people had paid £50 each for a similar trip but maybe they got Efes.

We won’t be putting a blog on tomorrow as we are heading off on a long bike trip, stopping a night somewhere and therefore won’t be dragging the laptop around the whole time on a small bike. So we need to charge up the camera battery, fill up with fuel and get an early night ready for an early start. But we might go for a Chinese meal tonight and I will let you know how we get on after our return.

No comments:

Post a Comment