Monday 9 August 2010

Fancy a cup cake?

I picked up Phil at quarter past twelve on Friday and we decided to head straight for home.  Despite leaving so early, the traffic was heavy and the drive home was frustrating; I can quite understand why Phil is so tired and grumpy when he eventually walks through the door.  It’s more economical for him to drive the KA but my car is really for too small for him and it certainly isn’t very comfortable and it gets very hot inside.  It’s fine for me to potter around MK but not the best for long car journeys.  When we got back to MK we decided to find somewhere for lunch.  I think Phil rather fancied some Asian food but I wanted some good old English fare so we headed for The Barge at Willen.  It was very busy but we found a table and had a pleasant lunch with a pint or two.   We got home just after 3pm, Phil did some paperwork and I did a few domestics then we decided to call it a day.

We were both up with the lark on Saturday morning; I went early to the market and when I returned home Phil did a fry up for breakfast.   I thought Harriet might want a bacon sandwich so I woke her just after half past ten.  She is suffering with a cold and I don’t think she was impressed with the early weekend wake up but nonetheless she ate her sarnie and got herself showered and dressed.  We intended to have an easy day on Saturday but it didn’t turn out that way.  Phil got the bikes up in the eaves of the garage and we lifted the broken plasma off the sofa and I did a couple of trips to the rubbish tip.   I hovered and cleaned the garage floor and it looks a hundred times better.  In between the rain showers Phil managed to mow the lawn and I cut the hedge in the front.  Phil caught up with some more paperwork and I did some housework and also cleaned out the green plastic shed.   We finished our jobs sometime after 3ish; we had intended to go to the gym for a workout but then the heavens opened and we changed our minds.  Phil cooked steak and home made chips; we jumped in the shower and then settled in front of the telly to watch at least 5 episodes of 24.   I couldn’t get into this series when I first watched it, but now I’m addicted.

It was another early start on Sunday and it was all go as soon as we got up.  Phil’s mum and dad were driving down from Melton Mowbray for lunch and we had two house viewings, the first one at half past twelve so as soon as we had breakfast Phil started on the lunch.  Phil’s dad likes his dinner on the table bang at 12pm promptly so Phil had to have the lunch cooked and on the table and all the pots and pans cleaned away before the first viewers showed up.   I badly wanted to go the gym because I’d missed Friday & Saturday but in the end I only had time for a quick swim and a quick whiz in Asda for Sunday papers and some ice-cream.

Phil’s mum and dad arrived at half ten.  I woke Harriet up which was not easy because she’d been out clubbing the night before and didn’t get in until 3.30am.   We had roast chicken for lunch and just about managed to get served and cleaned away before Karen the agent turned up.  The young couple looked around but were in and out in just over 10 minutes so I very much doubt they’ll be putting in an offer.  It’s been many months since Phil’s mum and dad have visited.  George doesn’t like to travel too far in the winter and his recent spell of bad health has meant he hasn’t been able to drive too far.  Thankfully he’s much better but even so, both him and Bet seem a little slower each time we see them.  They don’t do to bad but old age is catching up with them and I just wish they lived nearer so we could help them more.  Phil’s mum is really suffering with her arthritis and said that she struggled to put the kettle on that morning.  It’s a worry.

Phil took his mum and dad in the car to look at the outside of the shared ownership bungalow that we’ve just brought.  Obviously they couldn’t see inside because it’s tenanted but they like to see what we’ve invested in.  Afterwards Phil drove them to the farm shop just outside north Crawley to buy some home made butter, milk and cheese.  We were just having tea and cup cakes when the second viewers turned up.   Again, it was another young couple and it turned out it was a girl that Harriet works with at the OU.  It’s a small world.  They lingered a little longer than the first couple but I’m not sure if they liked our house or not.  Sometimes its better if you’re not around so people can have a good nose around.

We waved good bye to Bet & George just before 4 o’clock; Phil was tired and so was I to be honest, we tidied away and caught up with some telly.   And here we are, another Monday morning.  We’ve run out of milk so I need to pop to the shops so Harriet has some milk for her coco pops.  I’ve got a long list of jobs for today which I shall tackle after I’ve been to the gym.  The fence by the conservatory is looking a little shabby so I want to get that painted today although I’m not sure if I’ll be able to because the forecast for today is heavy rains showers.  I’m not sure about anyone else, but I getting really fed up with the strange weather we’ve been having.  It’s been pants ever since we got back from Turkey and now on the telly they’re talking about autumn and the nights drawing in.  Let’s hope it improves this week, because I for one am not quite ready for winter.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment