Friday 6 August 2010

End of the week ramblings from Abingdon

Harriet arrived home in the early hours of Wednesday morning.  She had to use the key underneath the door mat because both Phil & I had gone to bed.  I’d risen very early, so I had done all of Harriet’s washing, drying and ironing by 9am.  I had actually planned to go early gym but we had a major drama in our street.   I was in the kitchen replying to my emails when I heard an almighty loud noise.  I opened the blind in my lounge and saw a police car and another car parked outside blocking most of our drive.  I went upstairs to look out of the spare bedroom window as you get a better view from there.  I couldn’t see any policeman but I did see Sandy also spying from her bedroom window across the road.  She was holding her mobile phone and pointing at it.  I was confused but then I realised that she wanted me to switch on my mobile phone, which I did.  She called almost immediately to say that the police were raiding Neil’s house.  She was sitting in her bedroom putting on her makeup when she saw the cars turn up 2 cops and 2 plain clothes and bash Neil’s door lock in.  Obviously that was the loud noise I’d heard. 

Sandy didn’t know what was going on but obviously there is something not right next door.  Whilst I was on the phone to Sandy, Emma was leaving me a voice message but I didn’t pick that up to later in the evening.  Sandy had to get to work so she had to get the police to move their cars.  She left and now that my driveway was unblocked I took myself off to the gym.  So much excitement in the cul-de-sac for a Wednesday morning!

It was a miserable day on Wednesday, rain stop and then more rain so I hung around at home in the afternoon, catching up with emails and paperwork.  Harriet got up around midday and I cooked her lunch.  Phil got home just before half five and he was feeling tired.  He’s always feeling tired these days and I think he needs some early nights.  Christine came round for supper and we opened a bottle of Cava to celebrate the completion on her new cottage in Surrey.  Harriet dropped off Phil at the pub, normally he would walk but it was raining.

A late night with wine and I struggled to get up when the alarm went off yesterday morning at 6am.  We had a quick breakfast and then set off to Abingdon at half past.   Phil is right, it’s not a very pleasant drive and traffic is heavy even at that time of the morning.  We eventually arrived at Phil’s work place.  I dropped him off and then set the Tom Tom for the White Horse Leisure & Tennis centre.  I’d researched this place on the internet and was hoping I could get in with a workout and swim.  Luck was on my side, I was able to get in the gym and the pool without membership for £5.40.   Bargain!  It was a lovely gym, friendly staff and immaculate.  The gym was closing at midday for a refurbishment but that didn’t matter I worked out for an hour and then did my lengths in the pool.  A very civilised morning.

When I was showered and changed I reset the Tom Tom for The Crown & Thistle hotel right in the centre of Abingdon.   It only a five minute drive and I was able to park right outside the hotel.  Again, I’d done some research and saw that the Crown & Thistle were offering a £50 B&B room rate if you book on the day.  My luck was in and the receptionist agreed to let me have the room for 50 quid.   The room wasn’t ready so I took myself off for a walk around the town centre.  The town isn’t that big but there are lots of pubs, bars, shops and restaurants.   I found the public toilets and then took myself off to the public library to see if I could get internet access.   There had several free computers and so I was able to check my emails and research a couple of hotels and restaurants. This was really handy.  By this time it nearly midday so I decided to get back in the car and suss out how to get to the hotel’s free car park.  It was a challenge finding my way around the one way ring road but I got there in the end.   Once parked, I went back into the reception to see if I could get the key to my room.  The kind receptionist said that Room 5 was ready and gave me the key early. 

Our room was huge, one of the biggest I’ve ever stayed in.  It had a 4 poster bed and a leather sofa and chair.  We have a view over the courtyard with is very pretty with lots of hanging baskets.   The interior was a little tired and old fashioned. I normally prefer slick, simple, modern and the minimal look but room 5 was rather endearing and the squeaky floor boards and sloppy ceiling added to the character and ambience.  I was pleased with myself because this hotel is a real bargain at 50 pounds which included our breakfast.

Phil was finishing work at 2pm so when the time came I went to pick him up.  He was ready and waiting for me and we drove back to the hotel car park and went to find somewhere to have a late lunch.  Phil was impressed that I’d managed to find my way around and he was even more impressed with our hotel.  We went to eat at the Nags Head; the Crown did do lunch but the menu was a little on the expensive side.   We opted for rump steak and chips at the Nags Head 2-4-1 which was just over the bridge.  Both of us were starving and lunch went down, especially as it was only £10. 

As we walked back over the bridge after lunch, we stopped to look at the river and the boats moored up and it was only then that we realised that we’d stayed in Abingdon before.  It was many years ago and well before our blogging days but we recalled that we’d stayed at The Upper Reaches hotel just near door to The Crown. It was in the days when Phil was into circular walks and we’d stayed in Abingdon to do a 12 mile walk from Oxford to Abingdon.  I can’t quite remember but I think we parked the car and caught a bus to Oxford and then walked back to Abingdon.  I seem to remember that it was a very hot day and a very long walk back to the hotel which took us hours. 

We had a late afternoon walk around the town so Phil could see what was there.  It was our intention to walk along the river but we were both tired so we brought some wine and some plastic cups and chilled out in our room.   The TV didn’t have satellite but that didn’t matter there was enough on to watch.  I went to sleep fairly early and Phil fell asleep in the leather chair whilst watching Big Brother.  We are so getting old.  Next time, if we stay here again we must at least have a drink in the bar.  Not only to see what it’s like and not least, to give the hotel some business.

This morning we were awake around half six and went down to breakfast just after 7am.  Because it was included in the room rate, we both had the full English.  And very nice it was too!.  Before dropping Phil off at work we had to stop at the garage to put oil in the KA; and what a good job we did.  It was virtually empty and Phil had to put in 2 whole bottles of oil in the engine.  I don’t know where the oil is going.  I only recently put in half a bottle and only last year I had the sump leak fixed. 

I am posting this blog from our hotel room this morning; it’s great that the hotel has free Wi-Fi, it makes life so simple.  I need to get a hurry on as its half past ten and I need to get showered, pack the bags and check out by 11am.  Phil is finishing at half past 12 today so I haven’t got long to amuse myself.  I’m picking him up and we are going home via Bicester.  We may even stop off at the Bicester Shopping Village but it will depend on the traffic and also whether Phil is in the mood for shopping.















 

4 comments:

Steve's Secklow said...

I'm glad you found the Public Toilets in Abingdon. Can you give them a review in case Jan and I go there.

Emma said...

You had a lovely 4 poster bed so why was Phil watching Big Brother !! :)))
Abingdon looks lovely and i did laugh at the photo of the police car, i had the children watching out the window keeping me informed of what was going on x

Claire said...

To Steve; the public toilets were okay. With the remanets of Turkish deli belly, a girls gota to when she's gotta okay. The free WiFi in the public library was a better experience! How did the interview go? Phil & I were both TofU.

Emma: Glad you liked the photo of the police car, how sad am I? As for the 4 poster bed, well you'll just have to ask Phil when you next see him!!! And then you can tell me!!

Geoff Jordan said...

Also loved the picture of the police car. A bit of excitement for your neighborhood! I thought that bloke looked dodgy.

Claire - Life In Townsville is good - i'll send a separate email.

G & D

Post a Comment