Wednesday 11 August 2010

Rain Rain Go Away




Half way through the week and not very much to blog about I’m afraid.  So apologies in advance, this will not be a long entry.  Monday didn’t bring rain; in fact it was really quite hot in the afternoon so after lunch I got out my green paint and started on the panels by the conservatory.  I painted all the fence panels when we first moved in 2007 but they haven’t been done since.  They looked much better when I’d finished and now I can quite happily sit in my conservatory and not avoid looking at the fence.    I did a bit of touching on the fence by Phil’s bamboo but the wasps kept coming after me so I had to give up in the end.  


 I haven’t seen many wasps this year but there were plenty buzzing around my back garden yesterday.  I can forget about my wasp phobia for most of the year but August and September are not good months for me.  I’ve got my Waspinator hung out by the back door.  This is a piece of material that is meant to look like a real wasps nest and is meant to stop the wasps from nesting.   I’m not sure if it works or not but I’ll try anything to keep them away from me and mine.  I’ve also got my wasp zapping machine out and it’s plugged into a socket in the kitchen.  As a last resort I’ve got a can of wasp killer in a prominent position so if a wasp gets in and I can summon up the courage to get close enough, I can spray to kill.  Nightmare! 

Harriet came home early from work on Monday; her switchboard wasn’t working and she was streaming with cold so I think her boss took pity on her and said go home.  She made a lemsip and went straight to bed.  Monday night was uneventful; Phil came home after a 12 hour day and was cream crackered as usual; Monday is a bad day for him especially after quite a busy weekend. 

We escaped rain on Monday but yesterday it pretty much rained all day.  It was really miserable and the grey skies didn’t clear until the evening.  I went to the market and the gym in the morning and then met Janet at the OU for a coffee and a catch up.  I also got to see my friend Funmi for a quick chat so that was nice.  I didn’t venture out in the afternoon because of the rain; I caught up with washing, ironing and emails.  Actually I was a little lazy but don’t tell Phil!  

Phil had another long day yesterday in Abingdon and arrived home just before 7pm.  The guy he’s actually working for has been off on paternity leave for the last 7 days and his absence has hampered Phil in his project.  However, yesterday he turned up and is pleased with the progress that Phil has made so far.  He’s even agreed that Phil can help him writing the software which will not only be interesting for Phil but will look good on his CV.   He has managed to get this Friday off so that will give him extra R&R time over the weekend.

Sue phoned me on my mobile and we arranged to meet up at the Thai Papaya in Oxley Park for a last supper last night.  Sue & Alan take off next Monday in their caravan and are driving to Italy where they will be spending a couple of months before heading to La Manga in Spain for the remainder of the UK winter.  I really like these guys and it was great to have the opportunity of seeing them one last time before they leave the country as I know they have a busy schedule.  Also it was nice for Phil to be able to see them again as he missed out on Sunday lunch last month and also lunch last week because he was working.  We had a mixture of starters and mains and virtually had the entire restaurant to ourselves; I like the food at the Papaya.   What was lacking in atmosphere was compensated by the company.  Message to Sue & Alan:  if you read this before you go, have a safe trip and have a lovely time!  Who knows we may even see you out in La Manga!

This morning I’m off to the gym and then I need to go to the doctor’s surgery to get a pee sample bottle for Phil to wee in and take to his appointment with his nurse.  I should have gone yesterday but I didn’t fancy getting wet.  Later on today I’m going to see Carmello in Stony Stratford for a cut and finish.  I’m a little anxious because I’m going to go for a short back and sides cut.  I hate going to the hair dressers at the best of times but a new style just adds to the stress.  Watch this space.  If it doesn’t work out I shall cry.  This will be the last time I go to Carmello, he’s too expensive, from now on, I shall be going to Emma’s hairdresser who works from home and is a lot cheaper.  This is perhaps the last blog from me this week.  Now that Phil is off on Friday I think it’s his turn to have a say.  I can’t remember the last time he logged in but knowing Phil like I do, I am sure that he’s got a few things to say!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Testing, Testing

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys, We had a great time on Tues evening - loved your company and the food was great, would definately recommend it. Hope you have a stressfree weekend and lots of fun. Will miss you - don't forget to come and see us in La Manga. Love Alan and Sue X

Claire said...

Hi Sue & Alan! Good to catchup with you and we'll do our very best to get out to see you La Manga. Just make sure you have the Spanish white wine chilled! In the meantime, safe and happy travels.
Love C & P X

Post a Comment