Friday 4 June 2010

A worrying week............

I was woken by the sound of the telephone at 6am on Tuesday morning.  As I jumped down the stairs, pulling on my dressing gown at the same time, I had a feeling of foreboding.  Early morning calls do not usually mean good news.  And I was right to be worried; it was Phil’s mum on the other end to say that Phil’s dad had been taken into hospital late the night before.  Poor George developed a fever throughout the course of the day and then come bed time; he couldn’t get out of his chair.  Phil’s mum dialled 999 and the paramedics came out and decided that poor George needed to go to hospital.  They advised Bet to stay at home and phone the hospital a few hours later to get a diagnosis.  Poor love, she phoned at 2am but George still hadn’t been seen by a doctor.  She tried again at 6am but couldn’t get any answer and this is when she phoned us.

Now as it happens, Phil had already planned to pick up G in Northampton and go and see his mum and dad for lunch but it made sense to cancel G and go alone.  I did ponder whether to go with him for moral support but I already had a couple of appointments plus I’m still fighting off the remainder of my cold and my face is still full of bumps and lumps. Phil quickly got in the shower and was on the road without even having any breakfast.

I decided to stay in the house and wait for him to call me.   Phil managed to get through to the hospital and was told that George had been put in a bed on a ward.    The hospital in Leicester has strict visiting hours so that they had to wait until after lunch before they could get to see the patient.   George was very sleepy but a little better than the day before.  Phil and his mum waited around to see the doctor who told them that George had a severe kidney infection.   They put him on a drip throughout the night because he was very dehydrated.  The doctor thought his infection was viral so he couldn’t prescribe antibiotics but they don’t know yet, without further tests, what damage the infection has done.   It was nearly 6 o’clock before they got back to Melton and Phil decided to stay and keep his mum company so she wasn’t alone.  They went back again on Wednesday to visit but George was very sleepy, he didn’t talk much and wasn’t even interested in reading the newspaper.  Phil drove his mum back to Melton and then drove back to MK; he was knackered when he got back.  Still, it didn’t stop him going out for a few pints with the Jim, George & Alfy.

Christine picked me up on Tuesday night and we to check out her little buy to let flat on DB.  We took some measurements, read the meters then got the dogs out of the back of the car and went for a walk.  It wasn’t raining but very damp underfoot and my black Ugg shoes got very dirty.  Afterwards we went back to Christine’s for a light supper and some wine.   Phil woke me up with a text at 6am on Wednesday morning, I sent him a text back and then he gave me a call.  I wasn’t quite ready to get up so I turned over and went straight back to sleep and didn’t wake up until quarter past ten!  I don’t do that very often, and well, 12 hours in the sack I must have needed it.

The pest control team came out yesterday morning with the intention of destroying our wasps nest.  However on closer inspection from our bedroom window, they said we didn’t have a wasp’s nest but a bee’s best.   Because bees are protected they are not allowed to spray.  The man told me that the bees would swarm for 2 weeks and then fly away.   I’m not very happy, I don’t like anything that buzzes but I guess there is not much I can do, just keep my windows closed tight and wait for the bees to buzz off.   Nightmare!

We had hoped that George would be released from hospital yesterday so with this in mind we jumped in my car and drove to Melton.   The Land Rover overheated on the motorway when Phil was on his way home so we decided to not to take any chances and take my car.  Phil struggles to fit the KA so driving it is not very comfortable.   Still, he didn’t complain too much and we got to Phil’s mums house before midday.  I took down a lasagne and salad with some garlic bread that I’d cooked at home to save Phil’s mum the trouble of cooking and after a quick lunch we got back in the car and went to Leicester General.  George had moved wards but luckily he was in a private room.   We found him quite easily and he was sitting with his feet up on the bed.  Thankfully he was much better, having got a good night’s sleep the night before.   I grabbed the ward sister for an update because George, bless ‘im didn’t really have a clue what was going on.   Unfortunately they still need to do a few more tests so he wasn’t allowed out yesterday.

Hopefully he’ll be allowed home today.   Phil has driven back down to Melton this morning.   He will take his mum back to hospital and hopefully they’ll be able to bring George home.  Fingers crossed; if not, Phil will bring his mum back to ours tonight and we’ll go from there.  Obviously can’t make any plans for the weekend until we know what’s happening with George.  However the weather forecast for the weekend is hot, hot, hot, so hopefully I can get my shorts on and get this old white body out in the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment