Wednesday 23 June 2010

Fancy a Beer?

Do you ever start something and then halfway through, wished you’d never started in the first place??   Well this is exactly what I thought on Monday afternoon when I got out my painting tray and roller.  I’d been wanting to touch up my red wall by my cooker to get rid of the unsightly oil splashes for ages but what started off as a half an hour job, turned out to be 2 whole days.   Somehow, my touching up, ended up with me painting virtually the whole kitchen.   This wasn’t so bad but then I got started in the downstairs loo and somehow ended up taking the white tray and roller through to the hallway.   

Eventually I ended up in the lounge.  The idea was to just paint the one wall with the mirrors where Phil had filled in the cracks.  Phil decided to stay out of the way and took his book out to the garden.   Alan from Cosgrove Park gave me a copy of a book that he’d written. It's called Colossus and  I was very excited about reading it but somehow Phil nabbed it before I could start it.  It must be good because Phil read for hours, which is unusual for Phil because he hardly ever reads fiction.



On Tuesday morning I got up at 7am and after painting a second coat on the mirror wall, I decided that I would get rid of all the magnolia in the lounge and repaint it all white.  Phil wasn’t amused when he came down the stairs because everywhere was in a complete mess.   I got stuck in and come lunchtime, I’d got two coats on all walls and all the furniture, blinds, mirrors, sofas and rugs were back in position.    I was pleased with the results and even Phil, who had moaned and groaned all morning, agreed that the lounge much better.  

After the painting, followed by lunch, we just had enough to jump in the shower and got to the medical centre for our 2pm appointment with Louise the Diabetes Nurse.   Louise was very helpful; she explained a bit about diabetes 2 and the importance of diet and exercise.  Phil listened attentively and we came away from the surgery with a load of leaflets and a prescription for Metformin tablets.   I read all the leaflets when we got back home they listed pretty much all the sort of foods that I always buy and eat.  Naturally because we live in the same house, Phil eats these too but he also buys and eats the bad stuff.  From now on all that’s got to change and if he wants to keep his sugar levels down then he has to be sensible, everything in moderation.

This week so far in, has been fairly productive.  I got the garage sorted yesterday and Phil got our IKEA bamboo table and chairs set up in the garden in readiness for some hot weather.   All we need to do now is sort out the bathroom and the front garden and then we are more or less ready to put the house on the market.  I am not sure how buoyant the house market is at the moment, and I don’t relish the thought of moving again, I like living here but it makes sense to get an agent in and see what response we get.

Phil was up early this morning and went to Tesco’s to stock up on ‘diabetes’ food.  He was very keen and was out of the door without having any breakfast, not even a cup of tea.   I stayed home and waited for him to come back so I could help him unpack, which was just as well because he’d forgotten his front door key.   Shopping on an empty stomach is never a good idea and Phil came back with loads of shopping.  There was some of the usual food stuffs plus a few new items like nuts and wholemeal pasta and fish but I have to say I was slightly surprised at the three boxes of beer.   Now I do know that Tesco’s have a 3 for 2 offer on beer at the moment, but nonetheless, beer is very calorific and not the best alcohol choice if you a diabetic.  I didn’t comment, perhaps the cans are for one last blast watching the football later today and the Grand Prix at the weekend?   Life, as they say, is for living.  What time does the England match start???

No comments:

Post a Comment