Thursday 17 June 2010

Happy Campers

Last week, I completely forgot to mention Phil’s health tests.  Following his blood sugar and blood pressure results at Superdrug, he finally agreed to go to go and see the doctor.   Well actually, not the doctor himself but he went and saw the nurse to have some blood tests.  His blood pressure was sky high; she took it 4 times as all the readings were high.  Those blood tests were last week and he had to phone the following day to get his results.  The nurse told him that he had a really high glucose reading and also high cholesterol.   Apparently blood tests are the only way to get accurate results so he went back again on Monday for more blood tests.  Once again, his BP was high and we have yet to hear his latest results.  I think Phil really wants to be diagnosed with type 2 diabetes; he says once you are diagnosed you get free prescriptions.  Whilst I agree, that this is indeed a bonus, if it were me, I’d rather get in the gym, loose the weight and not be diagnosed in the first place.  I don’t know, he seems to think that they will give him some free pills and all his problems will disappear.   If only it were that simple.

This week, so far, has been dominated by the arrival of my step dad and his girlfriend who arrived in Milton Keynes late Monday morning.  They, and their campervan, have booked in the touring site on Cosgrove Park where they are staying until next Monday.   They met another couple in Spain who have a permanent pitch on Cosgrove Park so they thought it would be good to catch up with them and us at the same time.   We gave them some time to sort out their pitch then went over after lunch to see them.   It’s been years since Phil or I had been to Cosgrove so we struggled to locate the site and then it took us ages to find their pitch.  When we eventually located them, we were invited into their friend’s tent for a glass of wine.   I am not into camping, but the wine was chilled and their friends, Alan & Sue, were charming.   We got away just after half 5 but I gather the party went on late into the night.  

I wanted to go to the gym on Tuesday morning but there was no time, we woke up late and then had to prepare lunch for step dad & girlfriend.  Guests meant also having to clean the house, a task which I have neglected of late.  Phil actually cooked the lasagne and I drove to Cosgrove to pick up our guests. Lunch was tasty and whilst I cleared away, step-dad and Phil got stuck into weeding the beds, sorting out the herb pots and generally having a good clear up.  I didn’t mind a bit, I hate gardening and Phil is rather new to it.  He’s good once he gets going but it helped after a little big of expert advice.   Marie wanted to get her cut so I took over to a salon in Newport for a cut and blow dry.   I waited while she was being done and she seemed pleased with the results.   We went back home for coffee and cream cakes and then I took them back at teatime to their pitch.

I hadn’t made any plans to meet up with step-dad yesterday because I had stuff to do, a visit to the gym, a trip to Tesco’s and a trip to the flat in Cranfield, which of course, meant another encounter with mad Betty.  She’s is driving me nuts, leaving crazy voice messages and sending even crazier texts.   It feels like having a stalker; I’m almost tempted to change my mobile number but then she knows Phil’s mobile number and if I don’t respond to her, she will only start on him.  Phil is less tolerant than me, so for now, I suppose it’s better for her to torment me.  The reason she is texting me is that she wants to know what’s happening to our sale and also, she has an acquaintance that is interested in letting our flat.   I should have followed up on this and phoned the guy back but I’ve been holding out, waiting for Phil to phone the agent to see what the situation with the housing market.  My gut feeling is to drop the price and get rid of the flat once and for all but understandably, Phil is reluctant.   

Emma & Jason got back from their holiday in Ireland on Tuesday afternoon and it sounds like they had a nice time.   I went round to check everything was okay with the house and we caught up with some cul-de-sac gossip.   Jason did offer me a cup of tea, but I’d just got back from a good session in the gym so was feeling very hot.   Phil decided to have another day on the sofa so when I got back he was watching TV but he did have the forethought to put the lasagne in the oven.  Lunch was leftovers from the day before so nice and easy.  

Last night Phil went out with the boys as he usually does on a Wednesday and I went over to Christine’s for a couple of hours.   Jan was there also and we chatted over wine and nibbles.  The diet has gone out of the window again this week, and it will be another start all over on Monday next week.  I am desperate to start on the painting but I don’t think I will have the opportunity to get going on this until next week, Monday at the earliest.  Today we’re meeting step-dad and Marie on our bikes on a pub somewhere along the canal.   The meeting point has yet to be decided.  I just hope the sun comes out and the rain stays away.

 nb: photo's to follow later 

No comments:

Post a Comment