Sunday 13 June 2010

SEX and the City 2



I pen this blog with the mother f***ker of all hangovers, but I won’t go in to that right now, more about that later.  First up, I most apologise for being so absent from this blog all of last week.   I have no excuse, other than last week I was suffering from one big dose of hormones and I mean really bad hormones, as Phil, no doubt, will testify.  Also the weather was crap which made me in a really bad mood.   It was all bad last week, Phil met up with Steve B for lunch on Wednesday and they had a nice time.   Steve B, like Phil, is also looking for a new contract and I think it does them good to ‘shoot the shit’ so to speak and do some male bonding.  I met Christine at the cinema and we went to watch ‘Sex in the City 2’.   Okay the film had crap reviews but the film, was, what it was, light hearted escapism with some mature ladies that I think looked great given their age.   Fabulous clothes, okay, a weak story line but I couldn’t believe that it was nearly 10pm when I got home.  It’s amazing how chocolate and a girlie film can lift the soul!

Phil’s mum phoned just before I went out to the movie to say that Phil’s dad had his heart scan and they mentioned blocked tubes and he has to go back to see the consultant ASAP.   Unfortunately the consultant was on holiday last week so we are hoping that he can get in this week to see, if, and how, they can treat him.  Naturally Phil’s mum is worried (as are we) because surgery for a senior man who has not been well recently is not ideal.   However, George is made of steel, sure he’s had a hard life but he doesn’t drink or smoke and I am sure he can make a full recovery. Let’s hope so.

We still do not have jobs but it’s not for the lack of trying.   Poor Phil is getting so disheartened, the agents are contacting him but once they’ve submitted his CV, he’s not getting any further.  The same goes for me; I’m not getting anywhere; not even an interview, just pure rejection.   On Friday we walked to the pub, The Giffard for a ‘think tank’ meeting.  You may think this was frivolous, lunch out and all that, but me and Phil find that we can talk and chew over things much better when we’re away from home.   Anyway, I digress, at the pub Phil told me that our cash situation is very low and that means desperate measures.   Bottom line is, that he wants to sell the house.  I don’t want to loose our home, but I’ll do what I have to do, and, we can soon make another one.  It’s no big deal, as long as we are together and can keep our heads above water, that’s all that matters.

I was in the downstairs loo reading a magazine when I glanced up to the ceiling and saw water marks.   A sense of dread filled my stomach and I immediately called Phil off the sofa to investigate.  It was obvious that the ‘tardis bath-cum-shower’ was leaking again and when we prised the panel off upstairs, our worst fears were confirmed.  Our posh plumber (you know who I mean) has fucked up so considerably, I feel like going round and bashing his door down.  Of course I won’t, we will try and repair the leak ourselves, patch up the tardis and try and sell this house, without making too much of a loss.  I will be sad to leave but I am ready for another project. When we got back from Oz we discovered a huge crack in our living room just by the door that our first house swap guest did when she broke the door handle.  Now this wasn’t there when we first left the house, so my guess is she broke the door handle by a huge door slam.  Anyway, Phil filled in the crack and all it needs now is me to repaint.  I intend to do this and also repaint the downstairs bog ceiling and patch up anything else that needs attention.  It’s time to move on.

On Saturday evening we went to Steve & Jan B’s for a BBQ.  Jan very kindly came round to pick us up so we could drink and get a taxi home, and drink is just what we did.  We’ve been in a stuck in a rut, depressed (me hormonal) state, wasting on the sofa so actually, so it was very nice to be invited out and mix with friends that we are very comfortable with.   I said it was a BBQ but Steve is a very accomplished cook, even more so than Phil, so of course it was ordinary BBQ; No indeed, Pimms to start off with, then a  tomato and mozzarella salad to start with a lime green table setting followed by chicken, salad and spuds and a jelly dessert which I’m sure tasted nice but I can’t remember, I was wasted by then!

I’m not sure Jan realised that England were playing when she invited us but Steve B, bless ‘im, recorded the footie and even let Phil watch the Grand Prix Canadian qualifying.  What brilliant hosts!  Unfortunately I woke up with the biggest hangover that I can ever remember!   So today has been a duvet day without the duvet and no shower!  Disgusting, I hear you mutter, and you are quite right.  Harriet phoned up earlier and she was also hung over because she had been out with her friend Jade.  Okay, like mother like daughter, you are thinking, but you are quite wrong; HH is far more sensible then her mum, her Saturday night over indulgence was a ‘one off’, that I can assure you.   She was phoning to say could she come round and would I cook her dinner.  I said “sorry HH there is no way”, the mere thought of food made me feel ill.  Another time I told her.   

Today has been what I call, a lost in space day.  Not just for me, but for Phil also.  I feel ashamed, the sun has been shining but we’ve been hiding in our nightclothes, with the blinds half shut watching TV.  I am not proud.  Anyway, I’ve got a plan;   I am thinking that if we can’t secure ‘proper jobs’ then we should start a company up doing kitchen design, tiling and decorating for other people.   We are quite good and we’ve had lots of practise; okay we maybe not be professionals but we are honest, sincere, hardworking and wouldn’t charge the earth.  The more I think about it, the more I think it’s the way forward.   I think it’s a great idea.  I vaguely remember talking to Jan about it last night but I don’t think I think I’ve voiced my idea to Phil yet.  I’m not greedy, all we need is enough money to pay the bills and what better, than a husband and wife team, who will do honest, and provide hard graft at an affordable price?  Unfortunately Phil is, right now, as I type, watching the live Grand Prix, so maybe best, if I put this business enterprise to him tomorrow. 

1 comment:

Geoff Jordan said...

Hope you guys get jobs soon! Under the circumstances it sounds like you are holding up really well.

I cant remember seeing a crack in the lounge room. I dont think we even closed the door there. Why on earth would anyone slam it shut?

Post a Comment