Thursday 8 April 2010

Hangovers & Highlights


I can’t promise that today’s blog is going to be any more exciting than my last, so please don’t hold your breath.  My life hasn’t been standing still I can assure you, but still, things are not going as fast as I’d like.  Phil seems to be practising in procrastination, spending many of his days not showered, in his pyjamas either watching podcasts or reading his library books.  I don’t think he has spent any energy searching for jobs and since the loss of the plasma and without the ability to record on BT Vision, he has recently learnt how to watch past programmes on the internet and display them on the 32 inch plasma in the conservatory. I dunno, where there is a will, there is a way I guess………….. 

On Tuesday, Phil drove to Melton to see his mum and dad and picked up G who is still on Easter holidays on the way. Thank god for small mercies, with my DH out of the way, I was actually able to get on and have a really productive day. Don’t get me wrong; even though Phil spends his days in the cold conservatory and doesn’t venture far outside, he still has many demands in the way of food and drink! LOL but actually he is really demanding in a bad way!  I had a good start to the day and got to the gym just after 7.40am.  As I’ve already said, I not so happy in the new gym but actually I’ve discovered this is the best time to go to DW.   Hardly any soul in the gym and I practically had the pool to myself.  Brilliant and this is the way forward for the next 5 months.

Anyway I diverse; with Phil out of the way, shortly after I got home from the gym I got to work on my ‘to do’ list.  First up, was the washing, followed by the ironing and then housework. It was just amazing just how much I could get done with Phil out of the picture.   I finished up the paperwork and then went to the city centre.   With an interview in mind (more about that in a minute) I treated myself to a ‘Twiggy’ top from M&S and a rather dashing new handbag. Phil says I have a ‘thing’ about bags and he is right.  But doesn’t every girlie????

I had intended to have a healthy lunch and finish off the butternut squash soup but, before my city centre trip, I discovered that Phil had scoffed the last of the soup, in one of his many mid night snacks.  Actually not really mid night snacks in the true sense of the word, but more, snacks after the ‘wife goes to bed.  He’s a nightmare!  Anyway, I knew that Phil & G together with Mum & Dad were enjoying a lovely carvary lunch at the Bowls Clubs so I decided to treat myself to a chicken chow mein from the stall on the market.  It was okay, only 4 quid but the chicken was a bit synthetic and it lacked spice, I could have cooked better at home.  Some you win and some you loose.

When I got home, the sun was shining so I decided to give the back garden the first cut of the year.   It was still a bit soggy underneath and I didn’t touch the borders (that’s Phil’s department) but still, I felt a million times better.  After my gardening spurt, I went back to the kitchen and I got cooking up, a chilli chicken stir fry.   Unfortunately I was so busy cleaning up the kitchen and didn’t taste my dish and despite the fierce chillies and the end result was a little bland.  I, and more importantly, Phil, don’t do bland so this indeed was a disappointment.

Julia, my sister from Ipswich, arrived just after five thirty, a little before Phil got back from Melton.  We were ready for her and no sooner had she arrived we got started on the beer.  Harriet came round after work to reunite with her Auntie and left some time before seven.   Julia had specifically asked Phil not to cook and cook we didn’t, but several beers-cum-wines later, it was probably a bad idea.  It was really nice to catch up with Ju (Julia) and we spent the entire evening, after the regaling tales from Oz, talking about our aches and pains and the perils of getting old.  The evening soon passed and we were very late to bed.

We all woke up with hangovers on Wednesday morning and Phil suffered the worst.  Unfortunately in a bit of a drunken stupor we’d forgotten to turn down the heating so both Julia and I were woken first thing with the boiler ticking and burping over.  But we both decided it was too early to stir and didn’t rise for a cup of tea until just after 8.  Phil came down some time after and although we were all a wee bit hung-over and queasy, I convinced them both, that a fry up would be the best cure.  It was all right for me and Phil, because although we had a few miles to drive, but poor Julia had a 3 hour trip back to Suffolk.  Phil did a super job with the brekkie; normally I don’t allow the smell of fat in the house and I would make him cook on the BBQ but it was drizzling outside, so for once, I made an exception.  

After Julia left we dropped the KA back at Arden Park for an MOT retest and then made our way to Bletchley to pick up the non repairable plasma TV and the hundred quid bracket.  We then made our way, with the help of the Sat Nav, to Buckingham.  Why I hear you ask?  Well you may remember I hinted at the mention of a possible job offer, well, after two telephone interviews I was offered an interview, so I wanted to suss out where I needed to go.   Some 45 minutes later, we arrived at the place, a remote farm on the outskirts of Buckingham and I decided that it was too travel to work. I’m sure Phil thinks this an excuse, but honestly, after my car accident some years back, the thought of driving to the gym is scary, and well, the thought of driving back and forth to Buckingham every day, simply brought me out in palpitations.  Naturally when we got home, I phoned immediately to give my apologies and explain and they seemed to understand.  Shame really, because this job had my name on it.

On the way back, in a roundabout way, we stopped off to pick the KA up. Hooray, after my wonderful cheap welding, it passed its MOT.   Even better, they didn’t charge me anything for the re-testing.  It just goes to show, that sometimes you need a second opinion and thank goodness my lovely, very reliable, some what rusty Ford KA is not for the scrap heap.  God bless you my lovely!

Hangovers and highlights never bode well and it was just unfortunate that I was booked in at 1.30 for some touch up of the grey and a cut and finish.  I left Phil on the sofa and made my way to Newport, to go to another new salon (well new to me) called Off Limits?  I hate having my hair seen done with a passion, and even more so, with a pale face and a headache.  The idea of looking in a mirror at one self for nearly 3 hours is not a good way to spend time.  Worse still, I booked pre-hair, an eyebrow wax; it was good, cheap (six quid) but painful. I got the apprentice, cheap rate for the hair and well, she was okay but painfully slow and zilch personality.  It can be said, I wasn’t in any mood for small talk and what more could I expect when she asked me what I wanted and I said “do want you will, just make be look human”.  It was entirely all my fault.  The end result, well, it was alright but when I got back Phil asked why I opted for a pageboy cut??  That said it all I guess but at least the grey has disappeared, for the moment.

It’s weird how little you THINK you have to say and well 1,467 words later it all spills out.  All crap of course, but worse still, this is my own sad, sorry life and worse still, I am recording it for all to see.  Sorry for the lack of photo’s (once again) but nothing much of interest to record.  Let’ just hope, this isn’t as good as it gets.

1 comment:

Geoff Jordan said...

Claire the blog is Never Dull so no need to worry.

Post a Comment