Monday 1 November 2010

Let's Party!

Harriet went to her friend Jade’s house as she was having a Halloween party on Saturday night.   She’d brought herself a Halloween outfit from Mr Tesco and looked very fetching once she was done up.   Phil and I went to Sandy’s Halloween party just across the road.  We were a little late in arriving because we got caught up watching ‘Strictly’ and by the time we arrived at 8pm, Sandy’s party was in full swing.   I felt a little embarrassed because everyone was in fancy dress all bar me and Phil.  Sandy was fine about it but we did rather stick out being the only ones in normal clothes.  I just don’t do fancy dress but I suppose I should have made a little bit more of an effort.

We’d met a couple of Sandy’s friends before so it wasn’t as if we didn’t know a soul at the party but in reality this wouldn’t have mattered because Phil & I will talk to anyone that will listen!  It was interesting to talk to Julia, Sandy’s lodger and her friend Ann who was a tax inspector.  I took them over to ours so Ann could check her facebook page; I showed Julia around our house and she said that my house was so tidy that maybe I had OCD.?  Umm cheeky girl but you know what, I’ve been pondering over this all weekend.  Nah, I don’t think I have OCD, I’m just a sad, tidy, clean, OTT anal freak. Anyway, the reason the house was so clean was that we had a viewing on Saturday afternoon so of course I had to have an extra special clean up. 

Derek & Sally from no 9 were at the party, we haven’t really spoken to them since we’ve lived in the cul-de-sac, all bar a hello here and there, so it was great the get the chance to speak to them and find out about their lives.  Nice couple and I think they left at just the right time, sometime before 11pm and just before the food fight started.  And before you ask, it wasn’t me that started it, no way would I ever dream of throwing food around a house, no, it was our host, the mad, bad, red witch Sandy.  Luckily I was in the lounge and so was Phil so we didn’t get splattered but I gather everyone joined in and the kitchen was a bomb site.

Phil was in top form and was rocking and rolling, I always know when he’s merry when he comes to dance with me when he’s not being dragged lol!  Not surprisingly we were one of the last to leave at sometime around 3am.  Harriet wasn’t back so I assumed she was stopping out.  I awoke around half eight (new time half seven) and pushed open Harriet’s bedroom door, surprised to find that she had got home after all.  Unfortunately I woke her up in the process and she said that she’d got home about 4am.  Luckily for me, I danced and ate and chatted more than I drank so I was feeling fine, a little tired but otherwise fine.  



I got dressed, had a cup of tea and then seeing that Julia’s blind was up, I decided to go over to Sandy’s to retrieve my plastic plates and cutlery;  I knocked but the door was open so I let myself in.   The house was dead and it was obvious that everyone was still asleep.  OMG, I couldn’t believe the state of Sandy’s kitchen, it was a right mess.  I decided to start clearing up so I rolled up my sleeves and got stuck in.   I didn’t realise that Sandy’s daughter Becky was asleep in the downstairs bedroom and after about an hour she wondered into the kitchen.  She’s a good girl and straight away got stuck into helping.  Now as everyone knows, I am an expert cleaner but it was hard work; the floor was covered in all sorts of sticky things and I had get on my hands and knees and scrub hard.  I went back to mine for more bleach, kitchen roll, my bottle bin and a dustpan and brush; I was surprised to see that Phil was up and dressed but he looked dreadful.  I jokingly asked him to bring me tea and toast across the road and very kindly he obliged.  Sandy came down the stairs at half ten and was surprised to find me in her kitchen.   She got going with the hoover and the mop and by the time I left it was almost back to normal.  House parties are great fun but the clearing up afterwards makes you wonder whether it’s all worthwhile.

After my cleaning I walked to the shops to get the Sunday papers.  It was spitting with rain when I left home and half way down the canal the rain got heavy.  I was completely drenched by the time I got back.  Phil had started cooking the lunch which was good and he served it up at midday.   Despite his great efforts, the beef was tough and the home made Yorkshire puddings hadn’t risen.  The rest of Sunday was gentle, the papers, a film and lots of snacks and nibbles.   Phil was really suffering and was very quiet all day, after lunch he didn’t move very far from the sofa.  Harriet was knackered also and spent the afternoon with her laptop in bed.

Come early evening I was feeling tired but I made myself keep up in readiness for the trick or treats.   Our first knock (and our only knock) was Tegan and Kai from next door. Emma had made a brilliant effort with their Halloween costumes and they looked great.  I had my camera ready so I could capture them at the front door.  They were the only ones that knocked so I guess the wet weather made everyone stay indoors.  Phil was pleased because this means he can now have the rest of the Halloween sweets all to himself!






1 comment:

Emma said...

we had 7 groups of "trick or treaters" come to us, probably due to all the pumpkins and ghosts we had outside :)

Post a Comment