Friday 26 November 2010

Diamonds are forever

Just to set the record straight, I didn’t forget to pack the cork screw as Phil reported when we first arrived; this was the first thing I packed!  However, in my haste to fill the rucksacks I confess to forgetting many things.  I think this was because I packed the same day that Phil booked the holiday and then didn’t revisit the cases until the day before departure, which, with hospital visits and one thing and another was chaotic.  Fortunately for me, most of the things I’ve forgotten are mine but still I still managed to forget Phil’s favourite swimming trunks, his old faded Speedo’s which really have seen better days.  I also forgot to put in his sunglasses and also his brand new swimming trunks which he brought especially from DW.  To be honest, I did pull them out of the wardrobe complete with the tag still attached but when I stretched out the waistband I thought there was no way he’d fit in them.   As for me, well I forgot eye drops, cotton wool, face cleanser, hair mousse, sterident tablets and clothes to wear in the evening.  I’ve got stacks for the beach but all I have got for the night time is one denim skirt but no tops and a little black dress which is way over the top for most of the establishments that we frequent.  Never mind, it’s not the end of the world and I spend half my life looking like a tramp at home so why should it be any different on holiday?
 
I’m not sure if I mentioned but when we first arrived at Palm View on the Majorda road we bumped into the jeweller across the way that fixed my bracelet catch the last time we were in Goa.  He seemed pleased that I still had my bracelet and I asked him for a price to replace the diamond in my engagement.  He examined it and said it would be £25 and he would machine polish all of my other jewellery.  I jumped at this price and handed all of my valuables over to him on the spot.  We picked them up on Tuesday and I was really pleased with the results.  Now all my bits and bobs are gleaming and my engagement ring looks like new.   Now the sceptics of you may be wondering about the quality of the diamond and the thought did cross my mind, but he’s an honest type of guy and even if he had used a low quality diamond it wouldn’t be a big deal because I’m never going to sell my lovely ring and the valuation of it, is of no consequence.  I like Jon the jeweller because unlike most in Goa, he isn’t pushy and is happy to let you browse his shop without the hard sell.  Jon did gently suggest that Phil may want to buy me some diamond stud earrings but Phil was reluctant because he knows I’m always loosing my earrings.  To be perfectly honest, petite little diamond studs would look silly on my huge sticky out jugs so I’m better just sticking to my £1.99 fakes. 
 

It’s hard to believe that we’ve been here in Goa for 2 weeks already; even factoring in 4 hotel moves, the time has flown.  I’m glad Phil persuaded me to give the north a second chance and now in retrospect I wishes we had stayed a little longer as Phil wanted to.  Also we’ve met some really interesting people along the way.   We particularly enjoyed spending some time with Hilda & Jack in Cavelossim; they really are a great couple.   Hilda at 74 years young is an inspiration for retired people and I have the greatest respect for her.  She power walks 6k every day along the beach and she does this in just over 30 minutes which is the same time as it takes me to run 5k!  Hilda is a bit of a legend in the Cavelossim area and knows everyone and they her.   She looks at least 20 years younger than her real age and spends great care with her diet and appearance.  That said, she still enjoys a vodka and tonic (or VAT as she calls them) and drags Jack along to all the bars that are playing music so she can get up to dance.  Go girl is what I say; I should like to be just like her in my 70’s if my liver doesn’t pack up before then!  Jack her husband is a little quieter, strong and silent but even he looks great for his age in spite of heart surgery earlier this year.  But what I most admire about Hilda & Jack is that they only discovered Goa 7 years ago and have fully embraced the people and their culture.
 

I think I’ve already said that being back in Colva has been disappointing.  I know not everything can stay the same but Colva just seems to go more downhill each we come back.  Colva has never been an upmarket place mainly due to the fact that you won’t find any 5* hotels here.  I think this is part of its charm or at least it used to be.  Colva never did get a good press but it’s sad to see the good bars & restaurants disappear and closed down unkempt buildings where once there was vibrancy and life.  Oh I’m sounding a little melodramatic here but it’s so sad to see.  All the locals that I speak too, say business is bad and they are worried that things won’t pick up for the Christmas season.  Let’s hope they do for their sakes, because after all, it is their livelihood and income that will see them through the monsoon season.  Star Beach remains a constant and in truth is probably about the best room we’ve stayed in so far this holiday.  It’s only a 2*, and that’s Goan 2* and not the slightest bit posh or luxurious.  It’s very much a hotel for Indian tourists, run by an Indian staff and the local community seem to use it for breakfast meetings.  I’ve spied a number of gatherings this week and it’s been interesting to watch from our balcony.  Of course we are known by all the staff having stayed many times before.  The lady on reception has taken a bit of a liking to me and Phil and we get special treatment.   I think she may have recently done a course in hotel management because she is very correct.  When she does something for you and you say thank you, she replies “it’s been a pleasure to serve you madam” which never fails to make me smile.  Our current room has a flat screen TV and we have brand new white towels with the hotel name embroided on them.  We have hot water all the time, albeit that the water stinks of stale urine but I can cope with that.  We have learnt never to eat or drink ANYTHING here because it really awful but they don’t seem to mind and at least we have the bike so we can escape in the daytime.
 

As just mentioned with the demise of Colva town and the closure of many of our favourite bars and restaurants it’s a struggle to find places on foot to go to in the evening for a drink or a meal.  Last night as a last resort we tried a beach-shack-cum bar which was always a favourite with ex-pat community.   It was never one of our personal favourites so we haven’t been much but for lack of anywhere much else to go we thought we’d give it a go.  There were no expats and no one that we recognised and the place was dark and just as grim as we remembered.  
Wednesday turned to be a karaoke night and so we decided to stay for a big longer to see how the entertainment turned out.   There were a bunch of Russian’s who started dancing as soon as Anne, the Karaoke host started singing.  I just shouted to Phil on the balcony and asked him how he would describe Boomerang and his reply was “tacky, downmarket, the pits”. So there you have it, but I quite enjoyed watching the Russians dance whose style was somewhat different and Phil enjoyed watching the chef make the naan breads.  We lasted until 9.30pm and then went back to Star Beach to watch the HBO channel.
 
For once the sun was shining this morning and we had clear blue skies for the very first time since we arrived.  Even though we were awake by 7am, we had a lazy start to the day, starting off with the internet café to post the blog and reply to emails.  The connection was bad and Phil was taking ages so I left him and walked to Goodman’s for a pot of coffee.  Once again I had a bit of a dodgy tummy and as we had planned on having a beach day I swallowed a couple of the orange shit tablets.  Before leaving Colva we stopped off at the ATM to draw out money and whilst I was waiting the lady in the travel agents called me in.  The manager explained that the girl had given us quotes for the wrong island and actually the price to visit the islands that Phil wanted to visit (can’t remember the name but they are not far from the Maldives but much cheaper).  Anyway the cost came out at £187 each for flights and hotel.  The only downside is that we would have to catch the overnight train to Cochin to pick up the flight.  Now we have gone by train overnight before and I swore never again but if it is the only way then you’ve got to do it only next time we’ll go first class.  We debated but came to the conclusion that we don’t have enough time left.  Having decided last night that it would be a long time before we came back to Goa, already we are thinking that we could use Goa as a base then spend more time on the islands.  I think more research is needed once we return home.  Just goes to show that you should never say never.

 
We spent a lovely day on Benaulim beach and I am relieved to say that it doesn’t appear to have changed much.  Thank god for that.  Benaulim is fairly undiscovered by the tourist and therein lays its beauty and popularity.  On our way down to the beach we stopped off for a late breakfast at ‘Denars’ restaurant, same same but different as the logo says above the door but actually it has remained the same and it was the best breakfast we’ve had since we’ve been in Goa.  In the past Johnceys has been our choice of beach shack but we shunned this and went to Coco’s which was on the recommendation of Alison and Dave.  And thank goodness we did; the beds were comfy, the staff couldn’t do enough for us but best of all, they had a flushing toilet with loo paper and even a sink with water and soap.  This was a real bonus for me because with a dodgy tummy I had to use the loo a good few times.  We had a relaxing few hours sunbathing before going up to the shack to eat a late lunch; I thought food might settle my stomach and ordered half a chicken tandorri and an aloe gobbi but once it arrived I felt sick and could only eat 2 mouth falls which was a shame because the food was excellent.  It was all a little embarrassing really and I begged Phil to help me out but he refused.  Typical the one time I want him to eat like a pig and he lets me down.  I apologised to the waiter but I shall have to go back another time to make amends.  We lasted on the beach until 4.30pm which is the longest that we’ve sat on the beach since we arrived.  I have turned a little darker but Phil didn’t put on any sun cream and is looking a little red.
 

I think that’s pretty much all I’ve got to say for myself today apart from my ‘big news’ which is to say that Phil has secured a new contract and starts work on Tuesday the 7th of December.  He had an email from an agent and based on his work at SME last year, the client wants Phil to start work without an interview.  The good news is the rate is decent and that it is in Milton Keynes which of course means no travelling.  Unfortunately the timing is a bit pants because Phil has his biopsy on Monday afternoon and I’m worried that he is not going to be well enough to work the following day.  Still no point in worrying until the occasion arises and worst case scenario and he’s not fit then the client will just have to wait.  So well done my boy, the money will come in handy for Christmas and will go some way into funding our next adventure.  In the meantime, time for me to sign off and make the most of the short time that we have left here in Goa.

NB: more photo's to be posted on Saturday

No comments:

Post a Comment