Monday 8 November 2010

Great Party. Great Hangover!

It’s been a busy few days and I’m not sure where to start but I suppose last Thursday is as good a start as any.   I went to the gym alone and when I got back Phil said the doctor had called with his prostrate results.   It wasn’t good news; his PSA levels were higher than the previous test and the doctor said that he was referring him to the hospital for a biopsy.  Phil said no worries I’ll have it done when I get back from my holiday but the doctor said he would need to have the biopsy done before he went away.  Phil doesn’t seem unduly concerned; of course he’s not looking forward to have the biopsy which is understandable.  I seem to have enough worry for the pair of us but after thinking about it more, I think it’s unlikely that the hospital will be in touch before we fly away, they’re much to inefficient.  In one way, I’d like to know what’s what as soon as but on the other hand; I think it maybe better to wait until after Goa because that way it won’t spoil our time away. 

On Thursday afternoon I went to see Denise for my waxing.   It’s been almost a year since I’ve any body waxing and it hurt like hell but after the first couple of clothes had been whipped off I began to relax and it got easier.  I was really pleased with the results and it’s nice to feel human again.

Friday was not a good day; we were up late and I had to go to the Kingston centre which left me no time for the gym.  I was disappointed because I wanted to do the ‘Zumba’ class.  In the meantime Phil was plagued by various phone calls which started off at 9.00am.  First up was a long conversation with Margaret at Morgan’s to talk about the leak at the Cranfield flat.  It seems that the newly fitted water meter is leaking which is causing the damp.  Anglian Water is refusing to accept responsibility even though it is clearly their fault.  I’m not sure what course of action Phil & Margaret have decided upon but lets hope it’s sorted before any more damage is done. 

After Morgan’s Phil left several messages for our solicitor.  The solicitor that we normally use has retired.  We have dealing with her for several years and we miss her.  The new solicitor, recommended by her, is not proving very good on communication.  But the big saga on Friday morning was that all of a sudden Phil’s iPhone4 stopped working.  I can’t tell you how upset this made him; he spent ages with the technical people at Tesco but all to avail.  At the end of a very long telephone conversation they told him to send the phone back.   This made him very angry and even I felt sorry for him.  I suggested sending Jim an email to see if he had any ideas.  Luckily Jim did have a solution and Phil followed his instructions, and hey presto, the phone was back in action.  Thank god!

After a small bowl of noodles for lunch, I packed a bag and we drove to Suffolk.   The road works at junction 13 are not a load of fun but boy, once all the work is finished, it will the journey eastwards a hell of a lot easier.  The phone calls didn’t stop on the way to Ipswich but luckily Phil was plugged in.   We’d decided to go to Cineworld in Ipswich to see a film before heading on to my sisters in Woodbridge.   Phil was still taking calls right up till the moment we walked into see the film.  We watched ‘Another Year’ with Jim Broadbent.  It was only released on Friday and I’d been excited about seeing it.  It wasn’t really a ‘Phil’ type of film and it was a little slow at times.  But nonetheless we both enjoyed it even though it made us a little depressed.  The movie went on longer that we’d anticipated and we got stuck in the Friday night traffic.  It was a nightmare, not helped by the wind and the rain.  Eventually we got to Louise & Mark’s shortly after 6pm.  Louise made us sausage and bean casserole with mash, swede and carrots and very nice it was too.  It was good to catch up with them and play with their cats.  It wasn’t a late night and we slept like babies.  

After breakfast we said our goodbyes and went to round to see my real dad and Marie.   I think it was a little early for the pair of them but we had coffee and talked about aches & pains, pills and getting old in general. Both my dad and Marie are suffering with arthritis and it’s sad to see them shuffle around.  It was only a flying visit and an hour and a half later it was time to leave and head down the A14 to Nacton to pick up the car from step dad and Marie.  They were leaving for Spain in their campervan that evening and were pretty much packed by the time we arrived.   I had a test drive in their Ford Fiesta and picked up fish and chips for all of us.  I have to say they were the nicest F&C that I have eaten in a long time.

I was anxious to get back to MK before darkness not least because I don’t like driving in the dark and also because we were going out that night.  The drive home was good, the roads were fairly clear and we got back before 5.  Phil caught up with the Grand Prix qualifying and then at half six Harriet dropped as off at Jim & Shirley’s for their bonfire party.  Actually it was a party to celebrate Dan’s girlfriend Kylie. Kylie is Australian and yes, she really is called Kylie.  It was mostly family, plus me and Phil and a few of Dan & Kylie’s friends.

The party was in full swing by the time we arrived; Shirley & Jim certainly know how to throw a good party, and Saturday night was no exception.   Shirley had cooked up a mountain of food; Goan chicken curry, chilli and rice, home garlic bread.  She also roasted pork and beef joints which she served in-between slabs of Tiger bread.  Jim’s brother fried Kofta balls and served with a yogurt sauce.   I am ashamed to say, that I was a right pig and ate some of everything. 

Needless to say Phil & I had a great time; the food was amazing as was the firework display which lasted for ages.   Both Jim & Shirley’s family are a real laugh and certainly know how to party.  Unfortunately so do me and Phil.  Harriet turned up in a taxi after the night club at 2am and the three of us left in a taxi around 4am, being the last guests to leave.  I hadn’t realised just how late it was. Time really does fly when you're having fun. Thanks Jim & Shirley for a great night!!!  Of course a very late night meant a late start to Sunday morning.  I was vaguely aware of Harriet stirring but it was the phone ringing at 10am that finally made me leave my bed.  It was Phil’s mum and I had to say that we’d call back later.  When I went to wake up Phil he sang ‘Sun Arise in the Morning’ which was a Rolf Harris song that was played alot from the night before.Lol!

It was very tempting to stay in bed but Phil had to get up and showered and drive to Northampton to take G for a driving lesson.   I also had to go to Waitrose to buy some beef to go with the home made horseradish sauce that my sister had made.   Harriet, lay in bed with her laptop updating her facebook, I did some domestics and Phil got back home just before 2pm.  We were all very jaded and it was a very quiet day in our household.  Miraculously, I did manage to cook up a lovely roast dinner which Phil said was one of my best.  This was mostly down to luck more than love, care and attention but I was pleased they both liked it.  The rest of Sunday was very gentle; newspapers, lots of telly, chocolate and an early night for everyone.  Thankfully the hangovers have gone and we are feeling a lot better this Monday morning.  Which is just as well, because there is much to do before we fly off and I need to get going.




























3 comments:

Phil said...

For a short video of the party see http://deskarati.com/

Emma said...

hi, did you receive my text about Neil? and his party Saturday night with techno music blaring until 8am Sunday morning. We could hear it 2 doors away so God only knows how loud it was for you guys as you live next door to him. His nice lodger (with red van) said Neil had 2 massive mixing decks in the lounge (explains why it was so bloody loud) and he is moving out asap....

Jim Robb said...

Love the pictures Claire. We're glad you all had a good time and thanks for all your help in the kitchen.
Jim & Shirley

Post a Comment