Friday 1 October 2010

Where did September go?








Phil didn’t get on very well with his appointment with Louise, his diabetes nurse on Wednesday.  First up, he arrived at the surgery reception only to find 4 people in front of him.   This wouldn’t probably bother you or me, but our Phil is so intolerant these days it really wound him up.  If queuing wasn’t bad enough, when he finally got into see Louise after a 20 minute wait, she told him that he wasn’t booked in.   However she could probably see how pissed off he was so she agreed to discuss his test results with him.  It wasn’t good news; Phil’s blood pressure is sky high, as are his sugar levels as well as his cholesterol levels.  Louise said that he needs to up his diabetes tablets from 2 to 3 per day and he also now needs to take a tablet to treat his cholesterol which, incidentally, he will have to swallow for all the rest of his life.  Needless to say Phil was pretty depressed when he got back home and well, to be honest, so was I.  Maybe I need to order myself some happy Prozac pills off the internet so we can pop pills together???   Only kidding, I think I shall stick to my own therapy of cinema, gym, white wine and blogging.  

Unfortunately I didn’t get to my Zumba class for a couple of reasons.  Firstly I was anxious to know Phil’s test results so I waited for him to get home before taking myself to the gym.  Because of his unscheduled appointment he was gone over an hour and didn’t arrive home until quarter past nine.  I listened to his results, commiserated and by then it was nearly 10am by the time I got to DW.  I had a good 40 minute run and looked so sweaty and dishevelled that I decided there was no way I could present myself to a new class.  In fact, I didn’t even bother with a shower; I just took myself off home.  It was an opportunity to get naked and clean the shower in readiness for the viewing at the weekend, which I might add, has yet to be confirmed. 

Whilst I was running Phil took himself to the city centre to visit the Apple shop to search for new gadgets for his new iPhone4.  He came back empty handed as he said the stuff was expensive and he could get it much cheaper on EBay.  Phil really wanted to go to Robinsons in Newport for lunch but I like to save this restaurant with its posh nosh for really happy and special occasions.  Wednesday was not one of those days so I suggested the Thai Papaya at Oxley Park and Phil complied.  The restaurant was open but I have to say we were the only couple dining. The food was good and service was excellent but when you dine alone (and by that I mean without friends) and one of you is depressed the ambience was somewhat lacking.  But still, I enjoyed my meal and we will continue to dine here, especially for lunch as it is such good value for money. 

When we got home I made a beef and onion potatoe pie, a recipe that I pulled out of the Co-op booklet; really I should have added dried tomatoes and olives but I didn’t fancy the combination and besides I didn’t have these 2 ingredients in the cupboard.  It tasted okay, real comfort food for a dull, dreary September day.  I only had a small bowl because I don’t like having too many complex carbohydrates too late in the day and also I’d had a big lunch.  Phil drove over to Northampton to pick up G for a driving lesson which made sense because we have paid a lot for the insurance on the KA plus she needs all the practise she can get before her test on the 22nd of November.

Not much to say about Thursday I’m afraid.  I got up early, made sandwiches, waved the boy goodbye and then went back to bed.  When I eventually got up I was glad to see that the rain had stopped and the sun was shining for the first time this week.  Phil’s mum phoned last night to see they’d had a horrible time in Hemsby, the weather was awful, the caravan was cramped and the sofa made their backs ache so they packed up and came home early. What a shame, they had to cancel their holiday earlier this year because Phil’s dad was ill and they really wanted to book last week but the site was fully booked.  

I had a long session at the gym yesterday and afterwards picked up some supplies from Asda.  In the afternoon I went to the cinema to see the film ‘Buried’.  Now I’ve got my season ticket I can go as much as I like.  The film was about a contractor kidnapped in Iran and shoved in a wooden box with only a gas lighter and a mobile phone with only 90 minutes of air.  It didn’t rock my boat and I was quite depressed when I came out of the cinema.  That’s the only snag when you go to the movies by yourself (and you’d be surprised how many people do) you haven’t got anyone to review what you’ve just seen and no one to cheer you up.   When I got back home I applied for a job online which I spotted in MK News.  This is another job that I could do standing on my head and it would be perfect because it’s only 3 days a week working for a company that’s based at Willen.  Perfect, I could go for a run around the lakes in my lunchtime. I don’t suppose I shall even get an interview but I really did try to impress in the email attaching my CV so maybe I’m in with a chance.  Let’s hope so, this girlie could certainly do with a break.

It’s been a funny old week and it was weird with Phil having Wednesday off.   It really threw me out and I think the change in routine upset Phil too.  He’s had 3 really long, dark days with periods where he hasn’t had anything to do, which of course, makes the days seem even longer.   I don’t know whether he has got enough hours banked so that he can early today but I do hope so, for his sake.  The agent hasn’t confirmed as to whether the couple that viewed our house on Monday are coming back to have another look over the weekend but after posting this, I’m going to change all the beds and then clean the house from top to bottom.   Like a good Brownie, it is always good to ‘Be Prepared’.  

1 comment:

Steve's Secklow said...

Phil, if you would like to discuss things with a fellow diabetic/hypertensive/elevated cholesterol sufferer then I am at home today. It's really not as bad as you think.

Also, Claire I have come across a good piece of software that can repair problems with your PC.

Post a Comment