Thursday 14 October 2010

Better late than never hey

I am sorry for not posting for a few days but I’m here now so better late than never hey. Life hasn’t been that exciting for me so please don't get your hopes up. My last blog was drafted and posted from Abingdon and a few things have gone down since then. I’m not too sure where to start today but I guess last Friday is as good a starting point as any. Our drive back to Milton Keynes was quite good for a Friday; we went home, Phil did his invoice and I put a wash on and then we decided to go out for lunch. We tried to get a table at the carvery at Shenley Church End but the waiting staff were ignoring us and Phil got impatient so we walked away and drove to Oxley Park to have lunch at the Papaya. Time was getting on and it was only when we were seated that we were told the kitchen closed at 2pm. With only 15 minutes to spare we quickly ordered and gobbled our food down when it arrived. It was a shame really, because the food was as good as it always is, but Thai dishes should not be rushed. Never mind, we shall know for another time. The rest of Friday was domestics and telly later on, not very exciting at all.

I had tummy troubles during the night, up and down to the toilet, which unfortunately woke Phil up from half two. He didn’t really get back to sleep even when I sneaked out and got dressed at half seven to go to the market. I thought he was still asleep but apparently he got up after I left and went downstairs. I love going to the market early on a Saturday morning especially in the autumn months. It’s so easy to park and I like to watch the market traders unpack their goods in the dark light of morning. I used to work on a stall as a teenager, helping out on a Tuesday after school and working on Saturday’s. The stall I worked on sold very dated outsize ladies clothing but my friend Julie worked on the card stall on the next pitch so we used to have some giggles. It was tough in the winter and we fuelled ourselves with bacon sandwiches, big macs and large cups of hot chocolate from McDonalds. It was a long time ago (35 years) but I can still clearly remember the cold and coming home with a red face, flushed from the wind.



Phil was up and running when I got back and once I’d fed him crumpets I got the ladder from the shed and Phil climbed up into the attic. We’d lent Sue & Alan some DVD’s but when they went to watch them the cases were empty. Phil had a vague collection of taking the DVD’s out of their cases and putting a collection into a CD wallet to take away on holiday. I’d searched the house from top to bottom but to no avail and so the only place the CD wallet could be was the attic. We’ve been meaning to get up and get stuff down for ages so the missing DVD’s spurred us on. Phil found the CD case almost straight away and he passed down clothes carriers with clothes in that we’d put up in the attic over 2 years ago! Unfortunately Phil’s suits were crumpled so these will need to go to the dry cleaners. I found my old denim jacket which is now back in fashion so this will be worn once again.


We had a snack for lunch and although the sky was grey, we decided to walk to the city centre to see a film. It took us nearly an hour and we were in plenty of time to see the 3.20pm showing of Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps. In fact we were so early, it felt like we’d been sat in our seats at least an hour before the film actually started. I don’t know if it’s just us, but it didn’t stir up any emotions and at times I didn’t understand the share dealing. And it wasn’t just me being thick, Phil felt the same. The movie was okay, I’d have been happy to watch on DVD in the comfort of my recliner, but well, a 2 hour walk there and back, on top of a long drawn out movie, if I’m honest, I wished I’d never bothered. Thank goodness for my annual movie season ticket, paying the full price would have added to my pain! It was gone half six by the time we got home, just in time to order an Indian takeaway; we’d had a flyer pushed through the door for the new takeaway at Neath Hill. Our order of Chicken Tikka Masala, Jalfrazi and a Makhni, Aloo Gobi, plus Pilau & plain rice, a pashwari and garlic Nan’s and last, but not least, a portion of papadams and a little pot of chutney came to 30 quid. Delivery was quick (half an hour), the food was tasty but only luke warm and the delivery driver left the Nan’s in his van and so had to come back a second time. Certainly not a cheap meal but it went down well with a bottle of wine in front of the telly watching the start of the XFactor finals. All in all, a fairly relaxed and pleasant Saturday night.

We were up fairly bright and early on Sunday, I fetched the papers and got money from the ATM machine and after crumpets and a shower, Phil got in the KA, picked up G in Northampton and drove to Melton Mowbray to visit his mum and dad. Because of my aches and pains, I missed the gym on Friday and Saturday but after Phil had left I thought I’d better get myself to the gym. I tried a run but had to give up after 12 minutes. I’d not long been home when Sue phoned me to give me an update on Alan; I’d tried to phone her from the hotel in Abingdon but I’d forgotten how crap the mobile connection was there and struggled to make out what she was saying. Sue had tried phoning me back a couple of times since but I’d missed her calls. Anyway, poor Alan woke up last Wednesday with what he thought was a stiff shoulder which turned into breathing difficulties. Lots of drama followed and Sue eventually ended up calling an ambulance.
Alan was admitted to MK and they eventually diagnosed a clot on his lung. I bet they were worried sick. Anyway, they ran some tests and gave him tablets to thin his blood and he was released on Thursday to meet the surgeon at Oxford hospital to talk about the next steps.  Our thoughts and  hearts go out to them both.  This f**king disease is so unfair.

Speaking of hospital, I was going to go with Harriet on Sunday afternoon to visit her dad who was in the Saxon clinic following his hip replacement operation on Saturday. Harriet had been into see him after his operation and all seemed well. However phone calls to and fro on Sunday morning revealed that staff at the Saxon had tried and failed to insert a catheter and Chris ended up being taken to A&E in MK. I don’t know all the ins and outs but they couldn’t fit the catheter because his prostrate was enlarged and Chris ended up having an incision and a drain. He eventually was taken back to the Saxon at lunchtime on Sunday but he was very tired, having had hardly any sleep so Harriet thought it best if she visited by herself. Harriet did a sterling job last year looking after her dad when he had his first hip op. She went round every day before work, getting shopping, running errands, changing surgical stockings and even cutting toenails when asked!


It was a lovely afternoon and now that I was free, I cut the back lawn. I haven’t cut it for ages because of the wet weather and as I put away the mower, I wondered to myself whether it would be for the last time this year? I reckon so. The rest of the day was washing, ironing, emails and filling up with petrol. Phil got back at half five, a little knackered after travelling to Melton and the prospect of another week of driving to Oxfordshire. Still, at least he can be thankful that this will be the last week, after tomorrow evening he will be a free man.

I woke up to lips full of blisters, small bubbles that looked like they wanted to erupt at any minute.  I didn’t feel great either but that’s not unusual for a Monday morning. With all my housemates off to work, I put out the rubbish and then took myself to the gym. I managed a 30 minute run and some weights but the hamstring is still niggling. My head tells me that I should really rest up for a week but I’m reluctant to stop now after all this hard work. I may have no choice. I stopped off at the city centre for a few bits and then went back home for an afternoon of cooking. We’ve eaten out quite a bit so I wanted to make sure we had some meals prepared, and also, I have said to Harriet that I will make up some meals for her dad when he gets out of hospital. I cooked a batch of chilli chicken noodles, a Pangang Thai curry and rice, a shepherd’s pie and I even made an apple pie with cooking apples that Phil picked from the tree in his mum and dads garden. I’d never cooked apple crumble before but it turned out okay. A good afternoon’s work and I was weary when Phil got home at half past seven. He slumped in the chair and I stayed in the kitchen because Monday night is a big ‘soap night for me, double Coronation Street and East Enders which Phil hates with a passion.

Tuesday morning was much the same as the previous morning, early start, emails, domestics and then the gym. I stupidly did another 30 minute run but was forced to stop. I need to listen to my muscles and lay off for the rest of the week; otherwise the problem is never going to go away. After the gym I went for a swim which is the first time in ages. I’ve tried to swim but the Aqua sessions are packed out and since I have changed to off peak membership the Aqua ladies are always there. I admire the ladies that attend the Aqua class; they come in all shapes and sizes and take their water workout seriously. The trouble is they take up the whole pool all bar one roped off lane for swimmers that usually is full. After the Aqua, they huddle in various parts of the pool to chat and then they take over the Jacuzzis and the shower cubicles. I think the only solution is if they happen to be there when I want to swim is to just simply join in with the session and then swim afterwards; if you can’t beat them, join them!

Yesterday afternoon I walked to Willen Lake and met Christine after work to walk the dogs around the lake. Luckily it wasn’t raining and it wasn’t too cold either. I hadn’t seen her for weeks so we had a lot to catch up on. I didn’t look great with a face full of scabbed over cold sores and Christine had a stinking cold which she thinks she picked up on the plane back from Vienna. After our walk we went back to her house for soup and red wine. It wasn’t a late night, she wasn’t feeling great and I knew that I had to be up early the following day.

Today I drove to the OU to meet up with Jan for a walk; again, she’s been busy and I haven’t been able to catch up with her a while. It’s her birthday at the weekend and she and Steve are off for a long weekend in Southwold on Sea with an upmarket room with a hot tub.. Jan has a couple of days off work and I really hope they have a nice time. HAPPY BITHRDAY JANET!
After seeing Janet, I popped home and then decided to go to the cinema to 'Made in Dagenham'.  I didn't think it would be a 'Phil' film but actually I think he would have enjoyed it.  I thought the film was great, best film I've seen in ages. I have a low boredom threshold but I was encaptured from the very start of the movie until the end.  It's the only movie that I've been to that people didn't get up from their seats until the end of the credits so that is always a good indication.  This is a film that I certainly recommend that you go and see. 


I have gone on a bit here this evening, so I think it’s almost time to sign off and say goodnight. But before I do, I just wanted to say that I didn’t get the job. I haven’t been told this officially but they said they’d let everybody know by the end of play yesterday. My phone has been silent and it’s fairly obvious that they’ve offered the job to someone else and are just waiting for confirmation of acceptance before contacting the other applicants. Yes, I’m disappointed but not really surprised. It’s obviously not meant to be this time round but there will be other jobs, and at least now, I can pack my rucksack and sod off to India. In fact the rucksack (his n' hers) is already packed. Look! we are going really light this time, one instead of two; light is good,it means we can move around more easily on the bike. Wish us both luck, somehow I think will need it as we explore new territories in the north............

No comments:

Post a Comment