Monday 24 May 2010

Weddings & Wasps

Well, what a lovely weekend we have just had.  Fabulous dusk to dawn sunshine with soaring temperatures that I reckon must have been nearing the 80’s.  Amber invited us to her wedding reception in the village of Aldbury in Surrey.   Although we hadn’t been invited to the ceremony itself, we decided to pack an overnight bag and leave early on Saturday morning to beat the traffic on the M25.  In the end we managed to get away just after 10am which wasn’t too bad.  Traffic was heavy on the M1, not helped by the roadworks and also extra traffic from Blackpool fans on their way to a football match.  The traffic was already queuing when we reached the M25 and it was stop start for miles.  Eventually we arrived at The Drummond Arms in the windy village of Aldbury just after midday.  The rooms weren’t ready so we decided to have a walk and find out where the wedding reception venue so we knew where to go in the evening.  It wasn’t straight forward navigation, we overshot the right turn on to New Road
so we had to back track, but in the end we found it.  

We walked back to the pub and ordered half a pint of cider and checked out the menu whilst waiting for the key to our room.  I saw 3 people at the bar and judging by their lovely summer dresses and suits, I guessed that they were guests at the wedding.  I overheard them asking the manager where the church was as they intending to walk.  One of the girls had high heeled shoes on and I knew she would struggle, so I butted in and offered Phil to give them a lift.  He didn’t mind in the slightest and they were really grateful.  When he got back we decided to not eat at The Drummond Arms, the menu was very good but a little on the expensive side.  Instead, on the recommendation of Christine, we drove to the nearby village of Shere.  Christine had told me Shere was very pretty and she wasn’t wrong but with the glorious weather, every man and his dog were in Shere and it was very busy.  We had some pub grub at The White Horse, average food but it was lovely sitting out in the garden.

After lunch we drove back to Aldbury, put the bags in our room and set off on foot towards Little London and back.  Phil had printed off a walk from the internet and we followed the instructions with the aim of reaching our end goal, the remains of a roman church. The instructions took us past the post office, the church and the bowling club and way into the forest.  The sheet said it was only 2 hours but it seemed much further to me and it was also uphill.   I was moaning because we had no water which wasn’t ideal because it was hot and muggy.  I wanted to turn back but Phil wasn’t having any of it, so, some hours later we arrived at the roman remains which were basically a few old stones showing the outline of a building.  Phil took photos and we turned around and headed back to the pub.   Unfortunately, we got lost in the woods and walked further then we wanted.  Eventually, with aching legs, we found our way out and managed to get back to the village, and the bar!   Another half pint of cold cider and then it was time to get ready for the reception.

The venue, Aldbury Park was magnificent.   We walked up the sweeping drive, through the lambs in the fields either side.  Absolutely spectacular venue.  I think we were the first evening guests to arrive promptly at seven thirty.   As we entered the building we were ushered to a side room and given a glass of champagne.  We took this and went outside to the front terrace where most of the guests were still finishing their coffee at the wedding tables.  Whoops I thought to myself, we are way too early, but actually it was fine and Christine was soon with us, introducing us to everyone.  Amber, the bride looked amazing in a simple white gown which was stunning.   I told her she looked like a blonde Greek goddess.  The bridesmaids all look pretty in simple but elegant purple frocks and the groom and the ushers didn’t look half bad, in their grey suits with matching purple cravats. 

While champagne was served, there was a musician playing on the terrace and a magician going round the guests showing them tricks.  I actually didn’t see him in action but Phil did, and he said he was amazing.  The band started to play soon after and then the dancing began.  The evening went in a whirl, I danced for hours and Phil chatted to everyone and anyone.  Actually thinking back, he seemed to spend most of his time by the free bar!   Much later in the evening, food was laid out, beef burgers, hot dogs and cake which sounds naff, but actually it was superb.  After my long walk in the woods and jumping around on the dance floor, I was starving and scoffed a hotdog and a beef burger.  Obviously, a great deal of thought and planning had gone into the evening and it paid off, everyone looked like they were having a great time.   All too soon it was time to say goodbyes and go home.   Fortunately Eulina was staying at the pub in Aldbury and gave us a lift back.  I wasn’t too drunk but I think I may have wobbled a bit if I’d had to walk home.  It was nearly 2 o’clock in the morning by the time we fell into bed.

Phil was reluctant to open his eyes but the sun was shining and I dragged him downstairs for breakfast.   We were the first guests in he dining room which surprised me but then it was only half eight.  Of course, we had to have the full English breakfast which was delicious.  Afterwards, Phil wanted to have another walk to clear his fuzzy head but I was anxious to get home and get in the garden.  The M25 was clear and we made it back home well before midday.  I am ashamed to say that we had a really lazy day, spent lolling on the sofa watching hours of crap films. I hate wasting days like this; I couldn’t even be bothered to sunbathe in the garden.  Harriet popped by to borrow some sun cream; she is as white as a lily and had burnt her shoulders the day before.   Phil hadn’t made any preparations for lunch so ended up going to the Kentucky for a takeaway.  He came back with a bargain bucket which was fairly disgusting but filled a hole.  Don’t ask me why we opted for Kentucky, we hardly ever eat takeaways, least of all, Kentucky.

Teatime came and a knock at the door.  It was Emma to say that she thought we might have a wasps nest in our roof, just above our little bedroom window.  Emma said that she’d had a few wasps buzzing by her bedroom window. She put up some blue tack but then she noticed them buzzing around our house.   Now, Emma knows I am wasp phobic so she did the right thing alerting me.   This is a complete nightmare for me. Although I love the summer weather, wasps make my life a misery and cause me much anxiety. I made Phil come out and look and we think they are going in under a roof tile. Phil is going into the attic today to check that they haven’t got into the loft.  He is not keen to get up on a ladder and spray so I will call the council and pay them to come out to kill the nest.  Sooner, rather than later.

And so we start another week.  Another Monday and I start the jobs search and another new diet.   I spotted a diet and fitness regime in the Mail on Sunday magazine.  It was an 8 page article which promises a clean and lean body in just 14 days!   It’s a fairly limiting eating plan but I am determined to give it a go.  There are some fairly unusual foods listed, foods that I don’t have in my cupboards.  So right after clicking the publish button, I’m off to Tesco’s with my list and shopping bags.   Best hurry, because it will soon be lunchtime!







 

No comments:

Post a Comment