Monday 17 May 2010

Fancy a Doughnut?

Well here we are at the start of another jobless week and I find myself wondering what we did last week.  I am struggling to remember but I seemed to think it was fairly unremarkable.   Two trips to the cinema, 10 hours in gym and 8 hours walking mostly along the canal.  Jane & Ian invited us over for dinner at their new house in Flitton on Saturday evening.  I had seen their new house before they moved in but this was the first time Phil had seen it.  Ian & Jane gave us a guided tour and Phil agreed that it really is a beautiful, dream home. Unfortunately, as with any new house, there have been some snags, and in their case, some quite substantial snags; only last week they found out their upstairs floors have dropped which means that the floor tiles have cracked.   As a result all the tiles have to come up in the bathrooms, the floor problem fixed and then retiling everywhere.  Like me, Jane can’t bear mess and is not relishing the idea of contractors and the whole upheaval.  But it’s got to be done, and I suppose sooner rather than later whilst the house is still under guarantee. 

This was the first time we had caught up with Jane & Ian since they flew out to see us in Melbourne so we had a lot of catching up to do.  The dinner Jane cooked us was top class, spicy fishcakes with salad to start followed by stuffed chicken.  Unfortunately, I was stuffed at the first course, and several gin and tonics and white wines, I was the first to drop, literally!   I don’t know what’s wrong with me, these days I just can’t stand the pace.  Phil and I stayed in their spare bedroom and Jane served us up mugs of tea and bacon sarnies for breakfast.   On the way back we stopped off at Tesco’s in Kingston a) to get petrol because Phil was on the red light and b) to get supplies for lunch.

I had invited Harriet & Shane over to watch the Monaco Grand Prix.   We did discuss having a barbeque but the forecast was rain for the weekend.  In the end we opted for simple spaghetti bolognaise and garlic bread.  I cooked the lunch and chatted to Harriet in the kitchen whilst the boys sipped beer and watch the race on the big plasma in the lounge.  The spag bol was very nice even if I do say so myself.   Now Harriet’s not living at home, I forget about her diet restrictions, but even she managed to finish her plate.  Phil couldn’t resist the big box of doughnut from Tesco’s and everyone dug into these for pudding.  Not me, I don’t really like doughnuts and besides, I’m meant to be on a diet.   That’s pretty much gone out the window this weekend and actually I have banned the word ‘diet’ from this house because ever since I’ve been on the ‘diet’ I’ve actually gained weight! Why is it once you diet and start to deprive yourself you actually crave foods that you wouldn’t normally eat! It’s a bit like bad sex, when you don’t get any, even the bad sort seems is tempting.  Well that’s my theory anyway; from now on I’m concentrating on healthy eating and not falling off the wagon.

Harriet had brought Coke the dog to our house and after sorting out the dirty dishes, I persuaded her to get the lead and take Coke out for a walk along the canal.  We only did a 20 minute circular trip, up to the pub bridge and back to our house but this knackered Harriet.   Unlike her mum, she doesn’t do exercise. They left at teatime and we settled down to watch on the sofas to watch the telly.  Unfortunately our week started with a bang this morning.  I had booked Nigel (Bald man with Van) to come to the cul-de-sac and take the white IKEA unit in our bedroom to the TMA flat.  This was fine but he was booked for 9.30am and I had to clear all the stuff out off the unit so it was all a bit of a rush to get it done before he arrived.  Fortunately for me, for some reason Nigel thought we lived in Castlethorpe and not surprisingly couldn’t find our house.  It wasn’t until Phil switched on his mobile to pick up his messages was he able to call him back with directions.  So thankfully he was late which gave me time to get my act together.  Phil went to the flat with Nigel which gave me a chance to get on with the domestics.  Normally I’d go to the gym but thought after a lazy weekend I thought best get my jobs out of the way and start the week off in the right foot.  The sun is shining so lets hope the good weather is here to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment