Friday 10 September 2010

A Desperate Housewife?

I have been doing a lot of thinking this week and have come to the conclusion that I desperately need to find me a job and sooner rather than later.   To be fair I have completed a smattering of applications since I have been back from Oz but I have been very selective about the types of jobs, going for ones with reasonable pay, short hours and generous holidays.  But those days are gone, I need to lower my sights and go for anything because I need the money. 

I need cash to pay off my credit cards because at the moment I’m only making minimum payments and the interest each month is the equivalent of a small mortgage, it’s ridiculous.   I also need to buy me a new car; my driving skills are so bad that it would be better if I got an automatic so at least I wouldn’t have to worry about gear changes and central locking would be nice.  I don’t mean a new new car, new cars don’t do it much for me, I’d rather buy a holiday or a house.   And lastly, but by no means least, I need to buy me some surgery.  I need Botox and fillers and an eye lift ASAP.   I was hoping not to have to start on the face until I was 50 but old age is not being kind to me.   My sister’s eye lids are also beginning to drop and she’s younger than me so it’s obviously a genetic thing. 

There are other reasons for finding a job other than the financial.  I was driving Harriet to work the other day and she pointed that I’d been wearing the same clothes for 3 days in a row!  Now I must explain that I’m talking about outer clothes and not underwear here because I never leave the house without clean knickers!  But even so, wearing the same stuff for 3 days is not good.   I don’t normally do this and it’s worrying because letting yourself go surely is a sign of getting old?

Its really apparent to me that I have too much time on my hands.  I am not good without having a project to work on and have been filling my time doing crazy things.  Last week I subscribed to Simply Prizes which is a monthly magazine that gives you all the details of competitions to enter.  When my first issue arrived in the post I entered hundreds of comps on line and have sent around 30 post card entries. I have entered to win IPods, plasma televisions, holidays, money off vouchers and large of cash monies.  This seemed like a good idea at the time but now I realise the chances of winning diddly squat are very low indeed.

Of course, given the choice I’d much rather work for myself then somebody else.  I’ve been racking my brain trying to come up with a wonder product or service that we make me rich quick but I can’t think of anything.  I am so not creative and my skills are very few and far between.  Sure I can type at 65 wpm, I can speed read and I can paint a room faster than anyone I know.  But what use are these skills to anyone?  It really is quite depressing.

I am writing this blog from our hotel room at the Crown & Thistle in Abingdon which is where we stayed last night.  We left home yesterday morning at twenty past six fairly organised having packed the car the night before.  Phil was just saying that he ought to check the oil in the KA at the weekend when only seconds later the oil light came on just as we got to the A5 roundabout.  Luckily we a bottle of the oil in the back so Phil pulled in at the garage and poured in the oil.   He really is giving my little KA a hammering driving to and fro to Abingdon each day, he really needs to be a little bit more loving to my car or otherwise it will die.   The rest of the drive to Abingdon was fast and furious.  I was still half asleep which was a good thing because it meant that Phil’s grumpy old men swearing and cursing at other drivers on the road didn’t really annoy me. 

I dropped him off at work and then set about my normal Abingdon routine.  First up, a toilet stop at Tesco Extra, then petrol and a cup of tea at the Costa garage.  Then I made my way to the White Horse Leisure Centre.  I had a good work out and a swim and it was nearly 11am by the time I’d finished.  To kill some time I had a wonder around Abingdon and then it was time to pick Phil up from at work.   He finished early because he’s put in some long days and isn’t allowed to work more than his 37 hours.  They’d had a sticky point in his project on Wednesday but two of the contractors worked late into the night so every thing was back on track by yesterday lunchtime.

We had lunch at The White Horse on the outskirts of town.  The pub was part of a chain but the food was still good.   Phil was naughty and had treated himself to a pasty from the food wagon at work but I was truly ravenous.  We both choose the steak and Guinness pie with chive mash and petit pois and a pot of gravy.   Phil said his pastry was hard but I thought it was a lovely meal.   After lunch we drove to the Crown & Thistle to see if we could get a room.  Once again I managed to book us in at the special ‘book on the day’ rate and better still, we got Room 5 which is the honeymoon suite! 

Phil was feeling very tired but after checking in I managed to persuade him to have a walk with me along the River Thames.   We were lucky with the weather because it had rained in the morning but the sun came out and we were able to walk without our coats.  We didn’t go far and an hour later we were back in our room.  Phil had a little nap, I had a bath and we just chilled out and watching the television.  We were down for breakfast at 7am this morning and this time we actually managed to get breakfast.  The last time we stayed here, breakfast was a complete disaster.  We ordered a pot of tea and waited ages for it only to find when we poured that it was coffee instead of tea.   There were no yogurts or orange juice and after waiting ages, the waitress queried whether it was 1 or 2 cooked breakfasts.  The cook had only cooked 1 breakfast so I told the waitress to forget my order because we were running late. This morning was fine, we got tea quite quickly and our two breakfasts.   I need to get a shower, pack the bags and check out.  Phil is finishing at midday so we should get back to MK early giving Phil the afternoon to chill out in readiness for the weekend.  I’ll post some photo’s later this afternoon when we arrive home.

No comments:

Post a Comment