Wednesday 31 March 2010

Celebrations


Geoff in Townsville sent us a very nice email a few days back sympathising with our jet lag and various disasters.   The Jordan family along with Jean and Graham are off to Magnetic Island for the Easter break.  Lucky guys!   Geoff says there is still some rain around in the north but hopefully this will stop by the weekend.  Hope you all have a great time!

I can’t believe that Easter is nearly upon us.  We have made no plans, which is just as well because it is cold and wet and as with all other bank holidays in the UK I bet the same is forecast for the holiday.  I was thinking about getting Phil to get the bikes down from the eaves in the garage but there is no point if the sun isn’t out.

I picked up my new glasses from the opticians, even though I picked one of the sale frames, they were not cheap.  They are not so very different from my last ones, I did ask Phil if he liked them but all he asked was how much they cost and why didn’t I claim on the insurance?  He has a point I suppose but the answer to that is that I just couldn’t be arsed.   

We had a late start to the day on Monday not having got to grips with the loss of the hour on Sunday.   We did make it to the gym and it wasn’t too bad.  Each time we go we feel a little more comfortable and in a couple of weeks I’m sure we’ll be like old hats.  It’s difficult not to compare DW to DL because there really is no comparison but all I need to keep in mind is the money we are saving. I do have a few gripes though.  There is only one water fountain in the main gym.  The aqua classes are run EVERY day which clogs up the pool.   Without a doubt, the pool and the ladies changing room must have been designed by a bloke.  There is nowhere at all to hang up towels or wash bags by the pool.  And the hooks by the showers are so high up that I have to stand on tip toe’s to hang up my stuff.  Still, at least the water in the shower was much hotter this week.  The least I have to use our shower at home the better.

Yesterday morning I took my car in for another M.O.T at Arden Park which is where I normally tend to go.  Not one of my best ideas because it failed.  What was I thinking paying twice for an M.O.T.??  The garage does have a body shop but the welding is too severe for them to deal with it.  They gave me a number of a guy that only does welding.  I phoned and left a message and Adrian called me back and I took it over to Sherrington this morning.  Funnily enough, this is the same chap that Chris Ford recommended but when Phil phoned a couple of weeks ago he said he was too busy.  And yet when I spoke to him this morning he said he’d try and weld it today.  Sometimes it pays to be female!

Yesterday afternoon we finally got around to getting the plasma off the wall. It was a real nightmare getting it up there in the first place and with my fragile back I was dubious about getting it down with just the two of us but Phil was adamant.  It wasn’t easy (is anything?) but I have to say it was a damn sight easier taking it off the bracket than it was getting it on.   Somehow we managed to get it into the back of the Land Rover and drove it over to a repair shop on Granby industrial park.  It cost us 47 quid for them to inspect it so now it’s just a case of waiting to see what the repair will cost. It will be a while before we know what’s wrong with it but it does make me question how long the life of a plasma screen is?  Phil is hoping of course that we get it back in time for the Easter weekend so he can watch some of his recordings but there isn’t a cat’s chance in hell of this.  Phil, forever the optimist.  Bless him!  Suppose its better being like that than all doom and gloom like me.

Last night we went to Robinsons in Newport for a meal with Mads & Steve.   We were having a meal to celebrate both their recent birthdays, their 25th wedding anniversary and Mads recent promotion to Business Manager at Terminal 5 and well, it was also a chance to catch up after the long winter.  Phil and I got a taxi into town which only took 10 minutes.  My car was in the garage and I don’t drive the land rover unless I really have too, certainly never in the dark.

It was really nice to see Angela (the owner) again and the food, service, wine and company were excellent.  Angela had made a cake for Steve & Mads’ anniversary which was presented to them by Lola, their daughter and she had also got Mads a big bouquet of flowers. We all had some with Lola and her new dollie!  Poor Steve had the usual job of driving and he also ended up dropping me and Phil back home and as usual we were the last to leave the restaurant.  So thanks Steve, we hope to return the favour!  I feel a bit guilty that we don’t eat at Robbie’s more often, but in our jobless state, Robbie’s has to be saved for a special occasion, like when one of us finds a job. 

I applied for a job last week and hadn’t heard a sausage so I thought I hadn’t been chosen for an interview.  But yesterday lunchtime, the MD called me for an on-the-spot telephone interview.  He caught me up on the hop a bit because I was halfway though eating cauliflower cheese and a baked potato but I think I did okay, so fingers crossed.  Jeff, I think that was his name, promised he’d phone me by the end of the week.  He also said he’d had hundreds of applications so in reality I only have a slim chance.  I won’t mention the job or the company now because I don’t want to test fate, but needless to say, that if am successful I will reveal all!

A late night meant a late jaded start to the morning.  Also I had to get my car over to Sherrington and couldn’t find my keys anyway.  We both searched high and low because I do have a horrible habit of leaving my keys in the most peculiar places.  I even had to phone Mads and leave a message to ask if I’d left them in her car.  Finally, I eventually found them in the down stairs toilet.  Don’t ask!   I have got a list of jobs as long as my arm and so I must get published and get on.  I really feel like having a duvet day but this is not an option.  Early to bed tonight I think.












No comments:

Post a Comment